Rebels attack farm, slaughter hogs-A A +A
Sunday, November 3, 2013
GOVERNMENT troop continue to track down suspected members of New People's Army (NPA) who attacked a farm and slaughtered 50 and hurt 400 hogs in Barangay Sil-ipon in Libona, Bukidnon on Wednesday last week.
Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom) commander Lieutenant General Ricardo Rainier G. Cruz III directed commanders from various divisions in Eastern Mindanao to closely work with the government officials, community, and policemen to address the peace security concerns in the area.
"This is an economic sabotage by the NPA," Cruz said.
Eastmincom’s Public Information Office (PIO) head Captain Alberto Caber said around 30 NPAs belonging to Guerrilla Front 68 attacked the Mega farm around 8 a.m. on October 30.
According to the farm supervisor, 20 sacks of feeds were burned by the NPA before they left the area, Caber said.
"If not for the arrival of the responding troops, the stock room and other equipment may have been totally burned also by the rebels," he added.
The wounded pigs are now being treated at a nearby veterinary hospital.
Nearby residents said one of the motives of the NPA attack is ‘extortion,’ adding that the rebels had been doing similar attacks in other farms.
PNP and AFP members are conducting pursuit operations against the rebels behind the attack.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on November 04, 2013.