9,593 dengue cases, 60 deaths recorded in Davao-A A +A
Monday, November 4, 2013
THE Department of Health (DOH) in Davao Region recorded a total of 9,593 cases and 60 deaths due to dengue from January to October 30 this year.
DOH regional information officer Mary Divine C. Hilario, speaking on Monday's Kapehan sa Dabaw at SM City Davao Annex, said the cases recorded from the 10 sentinel hospitals and epidemiology surveillance unit in the region from January until October 30, 2013 revealed that the number of cases this year increased by 14 percent from 8,412 cases from January to October in 2012 to 9,593 this year.
"Despite the higher number of cases this year, it is good to note that deaths recorded are lower compared to last year," she said.
DOH-Davao recorded 60 fatalities due to dengue this year as compared to the same period last year with 90.
Davao City recorded the highest number of dengue cases at 5,757. Davao Oriental came second highest with 1,130, followed by Davao del Sur with 1,004, Compostela Valley with 971, and Davao del Norte with 731.
Davao City also recorded the highest number of deaths with 31, followed by Davao del Sur with 13, Compostela Valley with 8, Davao del Norte with 5, and Davao Oriental with 3.
Most of the victims are aged five to nine years old with 2,173 while those aged 10 to 14 years old and 15 to 19 years old have 1,660 and 1,470 cases, respectively.
Victims from aged five to nine also recorded the highest number of deaths with 28, followed by victims aged one to four with 17 and ages 10 to 14 with 11.
In Davao City, Buhangin recorded the highest number of cases with 1,002 and seven deaths. Talomo South came second highest with 971 cases and five deaths, followed by Talomo North with 733 cases. Calinan has 300 cases but placed third when it comes to the number of deaths at four.
"Davao has the most number of cases and deaths recorded are mainly because the city has a higher number of population compared to other areas. Also most of the big hospitals in the region are in the city," Hilario said.
She attributed the increase to the recent floodings and successive downpours in the region, but cited the agency's aggressive education and information campaign against dengue in a bid to lower down the number of deaths.
"People now are able to manage and more aware of the sickness like its characteristics, symptoms, and prevention methods thus they are able to bring the patients to the hospital before it is too late," said Hilario.
However, she said there is the possibility that the number of cases may go over 10,000 by yearend, encouraging the public to cooperate with the agency to prevent further increase in the cases.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on November 05, 2013.