Unattended stove razes 10 houses in Matina-A A +A
Monday, November 4, 2013
TEN houses were razed by fire at Purok San Antonio in Barangay Matina, Matina, Davao City on Monday.
Davao City Fire District's Investigation and Intelligence Section fire investigator Ramil Gillado said the blaze started around 11:25 a.m. from the house of the Ocno family.
Fire Officer 3 Gillado said the cause of fire was due to an unattended charcoal and firewood used for cooking. The fire started at the second floor of the house and spread to the neighborhood.
"Bale magluto-ay pa lang ang tag-iya sa balay ug kan-on nila gamit ang mga uling ug kahoy unya gi-biyaan tingali kadali para i-prepara tung ilung-ag nila, wa namatikdan, ni dako na’ng kalayo ug mikalat na sa balay hantod naabot na sa silingan (The house owner apparently was about to cook their meal and already lit up the stove using charcoal and firewood, but left this unattended, to prepare the rice. The fire quickly spread)," Gillado said in an interview.
Gillado added that the blaze lasted for more than one hour before it was placed under control at 12:40 p.m.
Gillado said more than 10 families have been evacuated to the nearby basketball court.
No one was reportedly hurt in the fire, which damaged around P800,000 in properties.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on November 05, 2013.