Indian official consults Duterte over kidnapped trader-A A +A
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
AN OFFICIAL of the government of India sought the help of Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte regarding the case of a kidnapped Indian businessman in Maguindanao last month.
Mr. N. Ram Prasad, Indian Charge d’ Affaires to Philippines, spoke with Duterte on Sunday afternoon regarding the kidnapping of 54-year-old Indian businessman Krishan Singh Arora in Parang town early November.
Arora was reportedly kidnapped by men who disguised as soldiers during the reopening of a plywood factory in Barangay Sarmiento in Parang.
“I am not the military or the police. I am not even a negotiator. I am just trying to be of help to somebody. I will play it by ear,” Duterte told reporters in an interview during the Christmas party for cancer patients on Sunday.
Arora’s daughter, who is based in Canada, has asked the Aquino government to secure her father by writing a petition posted on www.change.org.
A portion of her petition read: “We need help. Government needs to get my dad and other kidnapped people back to their homes safely.”
Duterte said he cannot speculate on the release date of the victim.
“I do not make any projections as of now because this might involve ransom money. We just try to find out because nothing was heard from him or from the kidnappers,” he said.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on December 10, 2013.