Council starts hearing of 645-MW power plant-A A +A
Thursday, December 12, 2013
THE local government conducted its first committee hearing on the additional 345-megawatt (MW) power capacity to the coal-fired power plant being constructed in Binugao, Toril in Davao City.
The AboitizPower asked the City Council of Davao for its endorsement on the proposed expansion of power capacity from 300-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant to 645MW, with the projected shortfall in Mindanao's power supply from 2013 to 2018.
Manuel Orig, first vice president for Mindanao Affairs, said there is a need for additional capacity to fully supply Mindanao's continued development; and to save people from experiencing brownouts.
Orig said that according to the Department of Energy the Mindanao power supply shortfall is projected from 2013 to 2018 and is expected to reach from 50MW to 243MW.
The barangay council of Binugao, Toril is amenable to the increased power capacity of the coal-fired power plant that AboitizPower Corp. is building there, but will not issue a resolution unless the company fully complies with the requirements mandated by law.
Village councilor Michael Lausa said no one from the barangay has so far expressed opposition to the proposal of the AboitizPower. He, however, added that the consensus of the people will not be a lone requisite to endorse a resolution.
"The council will converge again and discuss if we will issue a resolution favoring their proposal. We will further study everything," Lausa said.
The barangay health workers conducted a survey among the residents, and Village Councilor Romeo Saniel said they are more concerned with the effects of the coal-fired power plant, especially to their health.
Orig assured the projects would not adversely affect the environment and the people, as the power firm will comply with all the standards imposed by national and local authorities.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on December 12, 2013.