Shelter for extreme weather eyed-A A +A
Monday, December 16, 2013
A PROPOSAL by the Davao City Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC) is currently under study by the City Mayor's Office (CMO) for the construction of a permanent evacuation center for some 500,000 to 600,000 residents of coastal communities in the city, an official said.
"In our recent collaboration with other departments like barangays, 911, and Department of Social Welfare and Development, we came with an Oplan on Disaster Plan with regard to natural calamities like storm surges which is now with the CMO and they are studying our proposal to have a permanent evacuation center in the hill areas of the city," Francisco J. Villaroman, chief of the PSSCC, said in Monday's edition of the Davao Press Club's Kepehan sa Dabaw at SM City Davao.
He said there will be six hubs for the evacuation center which will cater to some 500,000 to 600,000 people from 16 coastal barangays. They have identified Matina Pangi, Poblacion, San Pedro, and Sasa areas as the most populated coastal communities.
They have identified areas in Tigatto, Mandug, Toril and near the boundary of Panabo as possible locations for the evacuation center if there is a storm surge with a maximum of 250 feet (ft.).
The hubs will contain basic facilities like toilets, a small hospital, food storage, water storage, and a separate room for pregnant women and lactating mothers, to name a few.
"The center is designed to be a place that can withstand calamities that may hit the city," Villaroman said.
He said the cost of the project is still being deliberated and the time of construction will also depend with the availability of funds.
"If there is enough fund, it will be constructed in three years time but if there is not then it might take around five years," Villaroman said.
He said the City Mayor’s Office will be looking into some factors before it is approved and forwarded to the City Council like the funding of the project, viability, evacuation plan and procedure, population during day and night, and the training and capacitating of personnel, to name a few.
Villaroman said they were tasked by Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to make the disaster plan after he visited Tacloban last month.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on December 17, 2013.