Davao firecracker ban gains attention, followers-A A +A
Friday, January 3, 2014
DAVAO CITY -- The 11-year-old ordinance banning the sale and use of firecrackers here continues to astound non-Dabawenyos for the city’s zero-casualty rate every year, as compared to the 933 firecracker-related casualties during the holidays nationwide.
Even Department of Health (DOH) Assistant Secretary Dr. Eric Tayag recognized on Friday the city’s firecracker ban during the health department’s press conference on New Year-related injuries.
“Marami nang mga bayan ang gusto nang tularan ang (firecracker) ban sa Davao,” Tayag said.
Tayag’s statement, which was posted online by ANC on its official Facebook account, gained positive comments from netizens nationwide.
One netizen named James Mallorca said, “Davao City is of one great example of how to celebrate the New Year with a bang but without firecrackers! No casualty at all, not a single peso spent for any injured during the season! God bless the people of Davao!”
“Bakit ngayon pa? Eh isang dekada na nga yan dun sa Dabaw,” said Wandelmar Sayson Bandialan.
“Hindi lang yan dahil sa political will. It also has something to do with DISCIPLINE for the people's part. Good job, Davao City!” netizen Era Reina Marie Cubangay said.
“Haha! bakit ngayon lang nila gustong tularan yan kung saan tapos na ang new year. Pera talaga oo,” Delwen Hua said.
Tayag said Friday that firecracker-related injuries stemming from the New Year revelry have soared to 933 nationwide. This number, he added, already broke last year's record based on the DOH’s latest report.
He said the 914 injuries came from firecracker blasts while two others were results of firecracker ingestion.
But in Davao City, Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) chief of hospital Leopoldo Vega said that they have not recorded anew any firecracker-related injury.
Since the firecracker ban has been implemented in the city, zero-casualty rate remains in Davao.
The Ordinance 060-02, Series of 2002 prohibits “the Manufacture, Sale, Distribution, Possession or Use of Firecrackers or Pyrotechnic Devices and such other similar devices and the exploding of Firecrackers or other similar explosives within the territorial jurisdiction of Davao City.”
“It shall be unlawful for any person or business establishment to manufacture, sell or offer for sale, distribute, possess or use any firecrackers or pyrotechnic device or such other similar devices within the territory of Davao City,” the ordinance read.
“It shall, likewise, be unlawful for any person to discharge or explode, or cause to discharge or to explode, any firecrackers, or any other explosive or to use any pyrotechnic device or any such other similar device, at anytime and anywhere within the territory of Davao City,” it read.
For those who found violating the ordinance, the penalty for the first offense is a fine of P1,000 or imprisonment of not more than one month but not less than 20 days, or both fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the court.
For the second offense, a fine of P3,000 or imprisonment of not more than three months but not less than one month, or both fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the court; while a fine of P5,000 or imprisonment of not more than six months but not less three months, or both fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the court for the third offense.
“If the violation is committed by a business establishment, the president or general manager or the person, acting in behalf of either the president or general manager, shall be held liable in the case of a corporation or partnership, or the owner or proprietor or the person acting in his behalf shall be held responsible in the case of a single proprietorship,” the provision read.
The ordinance also states that the permit of the business establishment shall be cancelled by the city mayor upon the commission of the third offense. (With John Carlo Cahinhinan/Sun.Star Davao/Sunnex)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on January 04, 2014.