P4-M aid to Davao Oriental, Compostela Valley approved-A A +A
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
THE 17th City Council of Davao approved on Monday the P4-million financial assistance to the municipalities that were affected by the heavy downpour in Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley.
The heavy rains were brought about by Tropical Depression Agaton, which weakened into a low pressure area (LPA) as of Monday (January 20).
The province of Davao Oriental will receive P2 million while P500,000 each will be given to the municipalities of Compostela, Monkayo, Montevista, and New Bataan in Compostela Valley province.
"I decided to extend financial assistance (to those areas affected by the LPA) in Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley. The P4 million will be divided and given to the affected families of Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley," Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said on Sunday.
Duterte said the local government unit (LGU) recipients are chosen based on the record obtained from the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) and the local authorities.
The NDRRMC earlier noted 52,807 families or 249,888 persons in 16 municipalities, two cities and 100 barangays affected by floods and landslides due to constant rain brought by the LPA.
The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) Director Retired General Loreto Rirao said there are 21 deaths, 64 injured and four still missing in Davao Region. The OCD also noted P168 million estimated worth of agricultural damaged in Compostela Valley, Davao Oriental, and Davao del Norte.
Of the 21 deaths, nine are from the Compostela Valley and 12 are from Davao Oriental.
As to the 64 injured, 11 are from Compostela Valley, 51 from Davao Oriental and two in Davao del Norte.
In October last year, the City Government of Davao extended financial assistance worth P18.5 million to 36 affected municipalities in Bohol and Cebu that were struck by a 7.2-magnitude earthquake.
The City also extended P8-million financial assistance to areas affected by Typhoon Yolanda in November last year.
It also sent a 49-man team to areas ravaged by the super typhoon to help in the search and rescue efforts. [READ: Davao City sends rescue team; to give P8M aid to Visayas]
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on January 21, 2014.