Teener dies in Davao City fire-A A +A
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
A 19-YEAR-OLD man was burned to death in a fire that broke out at 3:10 a.m. Monday at the Palamos Building along Magallanes, Davao City.
San Pedro police identified the victim was Jayson Torregoza, 19, single, grandson of the owner of the building.
The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) revealed that the fire started in the kitchen of the building and quickly spread as the building was old and made of wood.
Five families lived in the building, including Susan Torregoza, Frederick Plata, Ofelia Palamos-Bungag, June Damasco and Tomas Pelvera, who are kin of the Palamos family.
Eight stores on two floors of the building were reportedly razed.
The firefighters put out the flame at 5:30 a.m. and discovered the charred body of the victim.
June Damasco, one of the owners of the building, said they believe that the victim was unable to wake up during the fire as he was drunk.
They also figured out that the charred body was Jayson's as he no longer answered his cellphone and nobody else was sleeping in the building.
The BFP believes that an electrical short-circuit caused the fire. It is yet to release the estimated damage costs caused by the fire.
The body of the victim was brought to the Angel Funeral Homes, while the families affected by the fire were given aid by the City Social Services and Development Office. (Sun.Star Davao)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on February 11, 2014.