Department heads told: Submit plans for disaster mitigation-A A +A
Friday, February 14, 2014
CITY Administrator Melchor Quitain directed all offices of the City Government of Davao to submit their business continuity plan, which is among the top priority for disaster prevention and mitigation.
Quitain, in a memorandum dated February 11, said the plan aims to avoid the circumstance that transpired when Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) ravaged provinces and cities in Visayas in November last year.
"The aftermath has also resulted in the realization that if all else will fail but never will the government's system," he said.
"In this connection, it is imperative that all agencies of the local government unit of Davao City, particularly those who are providing the basic frontline services, must prepare their Business Continuity Plan (Continuity of Operations)," he added.
Quitain said the plan must be aimed at: ensuring the continuous performance of an agency's essential functions/operations during an emergency; protecting essential facilities, equipment, records and other assets; reducing or mitigating disruptions of operations; reducing loss of lives, minimizing damage and losses; and achieving a timely and orderly recovery from an emergency and resumption of full services to the public.
He required all the department heads and chiefs of offices to immediately submit their respective plans to Emmanuel Jaldon, officer-in-charge of the Disaster Risk Reduction and management Office, as these will be consolidated and forwarded to Mayor Rodrigo Duterte for information and reference.
The deadline for submission is on February 19. (ANC)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on February 14, 2014.