Fire incidents in Davao Region up-A A +A
Monday, February 17, 2014
THE regional office of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) reported a 46.4-percent increase in the number of fire incidents in Davao Region in January as compared to the same period last year.
BFP Fire Inspector Nestor G. Jimenez, who guested in Monday's edition of Davao Press Club's Kapihan sa Davao at SM City Davao, said fire incidents rose from 28 in January 2013 to 41 in January, this year.
As of January 2014, 20 incidents were recorded in Davao City, 11 in Davao del Norte, five in Davao del Sur, three in Compostela Valley, and two in Davao Oriental.
"Based on our investigations, most of the incidents were caused by electrical short circuits," he said.
Based on the data Jimenez provided, of the 41 incidents, 15 were caused by electrical short circuits while 12 incidents were caused by open flame or through cooking.
The remaining were caused by combustibles or bonfire, flammable liquid, cigarette butts, LPG tanks or stoves, and unknown causes or fire arson.
Also, 36 of the incidents were accidental. Of the 41 incidents, 28 were in residential areas. The bureau also reported that damages amounted to around P62.295 million.
Fire damage in Davao del Norte amounted to P55.188 million, Davao City at P4.953 million, Davao del Sur at P1.271 million, Compostela Valley at around 802,000, and Davao Oriental reported around P80,000 in damages.
Jimenez also said that as of Monday, a total of seven fire incidents already happened in February with a total property damage of around P1.825 million.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on February 18, 2014.