Duterte mum on SC order vs judge-A A +A
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
DAVAO City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte refused to comment on the ongoing petition of the government questioning the decision of Judge Emmanuel Carpio on the release of the questionable rice imports of businessman Joseph Ngo.
“It’s a matter of law. The judge says he’s being right and he’s being questioned now. He stuck to his stand kaya nga nagkaroon ng motion for reconsideration,” Duterte said on Tuesday evening.
“Hanggang diyan lang ako. Sub judice. I don’t want to venture into any opinion. I might be cited in contempt of court,” he added.
Carpio and Ngo have 10 days to comment on the petition filed by the Office of Solicitor General (OSG), counsel for Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala and Customs Commissioner John Philip Sevilla.
The SC also issued a temporary restraining order (TRO) on the preliminary injunction released by Carpio in favor of Ngo on December 12 last year.
"For purposes only of granting the TRO, the Court considered as meritorious the OSG's arguments regarding lack of adequate representation of the BOC during the RTC hearings and the lack of legal standing of Ngo to sue," SC spokesperson Theodore Te said in a press briefing.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on February 27, 2014.