Another NPA leader yields-A A +A
Saturday, March 1, 2014
THE Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom) reported the surrender of a political officer of the New People's Army (NPA) in Barangay Linao in San Isidro, Davao del Norte.
Eastmincom Public Information Office head Captain Alberto Caber identified the rebel returnee as Geneng M. Ambas, alias Chong, the 30th to surrender this year, and one of the leaders of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People's Army (CPP-NPA) operating in Davao del Norte.
Caber said Ambas surrendered to the Army's 72nd Infantry Battalion under the 10th Infantry Division on Thursday around 9 a.m. He said the surrender was arranged by Ambas' relatives and barangay officials of Linao.
"Just like any other rebel returnees, Ambas was also a victim of the NPA's deception. According to him, hardship, false promises from higher leaders and frustrations in the actual practices of their organization made him decide to surrender. Ito naman talaga ang madalas nilang dahilan," Caber said.
He said Ambas also told them that he wanted to be reunited with his family and live a peaceful life. He added that the surrenderee was brought to Davao del Norte Provincial Police Office (DNPPO) for the record and his proper disposition.
The rebel returnee will soon avail of Comprehensive Local Integration Program of the government after undergoing some procedures.
In 2013, a total of 200 NPA rebels surrendered to government troops, while the another 30 have so far surrendered to the Eastern Mindanao Command's area of responsibility since January 2014. Of the 230 rebel returnees, seven of them surrendered straight to the Eastmincom office, Caber said.
Meanwhile, Eastmincom commander Lt. Gen. Ricardo Rainier G. Cruz III lauded the NPA rebel returnees for making the right decision so as to be reunited with their respective families again. He also urged the others to do the same.
"The increasing number of returnees in Eastern Mindanao is concrete evidence that the spirit of Bayanihan among us is alive. I'm confident that there will be more NPA returnees in the coming days," Cruz said.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 02, 2014.