Security tightened anew as Araw celeb kicks off

-A A +A

Monday, March 3, 2014


THE Davao City Police Office (DCPO) called on the public on Monday to refrain from ignoring security measures, particularly on using backpacks, parking and selling on main streets, as the city kicked off the 77th Araw ng Dabaw celebration.

DCPO Director Vicente Danao Jr. said security measures to be put in place in this year's celebration are the same as last year.

He said authorities are in full alert status.

Advertisement

"Walang mawawala sa inyo if you will abide the rules. Isa pa, para rin naman sa kaligtasan natin lahat yan. As of this week, naka-standby na ang aming personnel for deployment on various areas," Danao said.

At least 2,000 personnel from DCPO, Task Force Davao (TFD), Public Safety Command Center, Traffic Management Center, Central 911 Unit, including the force multipliers or civilian volunteers, will be deployed to monitor the peace and order situation in the city during the celebration.

Chief Inspector Alfredo Baluran, head of the DCPO Operation Section, said in an interview that their office is set to deploy more than 1,000 personnel in various areas to conduct foot and mobile patrols, random checkpoints, and other integrated patrol systems.

Baluran added that aside from the estimated 1,000 personnel, the Davao Police Regional Office is also set to reinforce two squads composed of more than 100 personnel.

When asked about the no backpack rule, Baluran clarified that cameramen, photo hobbyists, media, and parents of the participants in various activities can seek a card number from police during the event.

"Maglalagay kami ng tagging points-meron tayong mga police personnel na naka-standby sa may Marco Polo Hotel and in between the main street kung saan gaganapin ang parade and other activities, kung saan sa kanila kayo pwede makakuha ng card," Baluran said.

"Ang gagawin niyo lang ay ipa-check ninyo yung bags niyo and get a card -- ibig sabihin na check na ang bags niyo. We will be very strict on implementing our security measures so please bear with us," he added.

TFD commander Colonel Casiano Monilla, on the other hand, said their men, including the troops of the Army's 10th Infantry Division would be steadily deployed for the Araw ng Dabaw.

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 04, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Marginal Lives

Today's front page

Sun.Star Davao's front page for October 25, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Calamity Report
  • ePaper
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Habemus Papam
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Technology
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Philippine Polls
  • Festivals
  • Obituary
  • Sinulog
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • goodearth