Public told: Avoid using backpacks during Araw events-A A +A
Tuesday, March 4, 2014
PUBLIC Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC) retired general Francisco Villaroman reminded the public to refrain from using backpacks during the highlights of the Araw ng Dabaw 2014.
Villaroman said the same security measures will be implemented this year for the safety of the public.
"Backpacks will be inspected thoroughly. We will place boxes on certain points where they can deposit their backpacks. We will also put up some checkpoints and will have headquarters for commanders," he said.
He said closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras will be installed around to monitor all the activities.
He refused to divulge the number of security personnel to be deployed, but assured there will be "more than enough" to protect the city and the people.
So far, Villaroman said there is no immediate threat to the city according to the intelligence community.
"I hope it will go smoothly," he said.
Meanwhile, Councilor Al Ryan Alejandre encouraged the public to witness the highlight activities for this year Mutya ng Dabaw 2014 Grand Coronation Night on March 14 in Davao City Recreation Center; Sayawan sa Dan, which will start at 8 a.m. of March 15 (Saturday); and Parada Dabawenyo, which will be held morning of March 16 (Sunday).
Alejandre said they already had their final check of events on Tuesday during the executive committee meeting.
It was not yet discussed, however, whether or not there will be a non-working holiday for Dabawenyos.
"We are still awaiting for the mayor's word. Siya kasi yung mag rerequest sa Malacanang," he said. (Arianne Caryl N. Casas)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 05, 2014.