Fire exiles 200 Badjao families-A A +A
Saturday, April 5, 2014
THE fire that lasted for more than five hours in three barangays in Davao City also displaced some 200 Badjao families.
The Badjao families, who inhabited at Purok 4B of Barangay 23-C Isla Verde, had temporarily resided at Magsaysay Park after the fire engulfed their residences evening of April 4.
"It would be safer for them to stay there (Magsaysay Park)," Brgy. 23-C kagawad Mitoy Kadungog said in an interview with Sun.Star Davao Friday.
When the fire razed a stretch of shanties in Barangay 23-C, Kadungog said the Badjaos reportedly evacuated themselves to the Sta. Ana Wharf, tagging along their children.
However, Kadungog ordered his constituents, to move from the wharf to Magsaysay Park.
"Didto sila sa Sta. Ana Wharf una nagtapok, unya gitan-aw nako luoy kaayo ilang sitwasyon didto kay wala silay matulogan, so gipabalhin nako. Maayo na lang mituman pud (They gathered at Sta. Ana Wharf. It had no good space for them to sleep so I ordered them to transfer to Magsaysay Park. Good thing they followed)," Kadungog said.
The lumads occupied the entire spaces of the park yesterday morning.
As their temporary shelter, the Badjaos used the railings at the park to hang their wet clothes.
As of press time, the social workers of the City Social Services and Development Office (CSSDO) attended to the needs of the displaced Badjao families in Magsaysay Park, serving them hot meals.
The Badjaos were among the more than 2,000 families who were left homeless after a huge fire hit shanties built along the coastal areas of Quezon Boulevard.
Office of Civil Defense in Region 11 director Loreto Rirao, in a text message, said the fire was caused by a lighted candle in the house of a certain Tisay Mohammad at Isla Verde in Barangay 23-C around 8 p.m.
There were no reported casualties.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on April 06, 2014.