Davao fire leaves 3,700 families homeless-A A +A
Sunday, April 6, 2014
THE fire-affected families of Barangay 23-C here said they would still opt to rebuild their houses at the coastal areas along Quezon Boulevard, despite the fire that hit their houses.
Some 1,000 houses were engulfed by a fire that lasted for more than four hours on Friday evening, leaving around 3,700 families homeless.
Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte assured that the affected residents will receive financial assistance from the City Government.
"Pagkaon, walay problema. Hinabang, walay problema. Mga early next week, mahuman ng assessment, mu release mi ug kwarta. Mutabang gani ta ug Yolanda nga kalayo ato. Samot na diri (We will help. We have helped the Yolanda victims, we will also help our constituents)," he said.
The residence of Arman Asani, 41, leader of Purok 6 in Barangay 23- C, was among the thousands of houses totally engulfed by fire Friday night.
DAVAO. Residents were preparing to help in putting out the fire on Friday. (Seth Delos Reyes)
Asani said all he could think of now is how they would rebuild it. His house was erected along the coastal area of Barangay 23-C.
"I live here since I was still young until I married my wife. I cannot think of other places to live except here," Asani said in an interview with Sun.Star Davao Friday.
The approximate damage of Asani's residence reached P100,000, including the house of his mother and his elder brother.
He was collecting pieces of galvanized iron roof at the area where his house was built Friday.
"I could still reuse this as soon as we start to build our home again," he said.
His family temporary stayed at Manuel L. Quezon Elementary School.
Asani recalled that a fire also hit Barangay 23-C Isla Verde years ago.
"We were lucky then because our house was spared from the fire. But, we were not fortunate last night," he said.
DAVAO. Mayor Rody Duterte checks out the families affected by the fire on Friday. (King Rodriguez)
Senior Fire Officer 1 (SFO1) Ramil Gillado, of the Bureau of Fire Protection’s Investigation and Intelligence Section in Davao City, said the villages affected are Barangay 21-C, Barangay 22-C, and Barangay 23-C, Isla Verde in Boulevard.
Gillado said the incident was reported to them around 8:15 p.m. He added the fire started from the house of a certain Tisay Muhamad, resident of Barangay 23-C along Isla Verde.
Meanwhile, Davao City Police Office (DCPO) Senior Superintendent Vicente Danao said a lighted candle that was thrown at a trash bin ignited the fire.
He said the candle was used during the pot session inside the house of Alyas Batchong.
"There was a pot session. Droga. Yung kandila na ginagamit natapon sa isang basurahan. Eh syempre kasi bangag na, hindi na napansin. Nung napansin na, ayun tumakbo na. Anglaki ng pinsala na ginawa," he said.
"Kaya sana yun ikontrol eh kung hindi tumakbo. Kaya kung makikita ninyo yung epekto ng drugs na yan. Maliit lang sana yung sunog eh, pero tinakbuhan nila yung bahay na nasusunog kaya ayun," he added.
Danao asked the residents to help them in their campaign against drugs by pointing the drug peddlers in the area. (Sun.Star Davao)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on April 07, 2014.