City Hall fences off area razed by fire-A A +A
Wednesday, April 9, 2014
THE City Government of Davao has already fenced off the area razed by the fire to bring order and prevent people from randomly entering and building wherever they want while the delineation of the entire area is ongoing.
City administrator lawyer Melchor Z. Quitain said it is important to delineate spaces in the eight-hectare area affected by fire for road network and drainage.
He said the delineation of the entire area is provided in Executive Order No. 18, creating the Task Force Isla Verde.
Quitain said that although the road network still requires the approval of the City Council for the appropriation of the budget, the ongoing delineation will prevent non-residents from encroaching the area.
“Ginawan ng order because we are concerned with the road network because just in case another calamity will happen meron tayong mga kalsada na madaanan,” Quitain said.
Putting out the fire that crossed three barangays Friday last week was made very difficult because only footpaths and alleys crisscrossed the entire area.
The City Council on Tuesday approved the P45-million budget allocated for the financial assistance to the fire victims and for the rearrangement of Isla Verde. The budget comes from the quick response fund which is part of the calamity fund.
While the affected area is fenced, Quitain said the victims will temporarily stay in seven identified evacuation centers.
He said during the incident, it was very difficult for the fire trucks and other fire-fighting equipment to enter the area for lack of road network which caused a great delay in the immediate arrest of the fire.
He said he has already ordered the City Engineer’s Office to come up with a scheme.
“I don’t think we’ll be able to give them (residents) the same area. Kasi yung road network will eat some of the area. But we will accommodate all of them,” Quitain said.
Meanwhile, the City Social Services and Development Office said they will serve hot lugaw and hot meals for the evacuees for 15 days.
Aside from that, the evacuees also receive help, in all forms, from different government offices and private groups and individuals.
The Task Force Isla Verde is headed by City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte and Public Safety and Security Command Center head Ret. Gen. Francisco J. Villaroman. (Vaneza Kimilat and Pamela Jay Orias MSU-Marawi City Interns)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on April 10, 2014.