Bankerohan bridge rehab starts Wednesday-A A +A
Monday, April 21, 2014
EXPECT heavy traffic starting Wednesday for five to six months.
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) announced Monday that it will finally start its reconstruction of the Governor Generoso Bridge II (better known as Bankerohan Bridge) on Wednesday, April 23.
Engineer Alvin Cabueñas of the DPWH 11 said they have allocated some P63 million for the project and the contractor is Oscar Sarmiento Construction from Cebu.
He said they could have started the reconstruction last year but a lot of things were considered such as the communication lines, Davao Light and Power Company wires, and the informal settlers living under the bridge.
“The need for the repair of this bridge is very immediate. It might collapse anytime,” Cabueñas said.
The bridge piers or the main posts holding the bridge up have already been weakened by the long use and constant battering from flood debris, but they had no technology then to monitor such damage and so were unaware that it was no longer as sturdy as when it was first built more than two decades ago.
Traffic Management Group (TMG) head Superintendent Rhodelio Poliquit, on the other hand said they have already provided notices of alternate routes while the construction is ongoing.
“We have to expect a heavy traffic in the area. So we are advising motorists to observe alternate routes or, if ever, especially for private vehicles, avoid passing through the area,” he said.
Cabuenas said the reconstruction will take five to six months.
“However, we will be working 24/7 in order to shorten its working days,” he said.
Mayor Rodrigo Duterte also appealed to the DPWH 11 to expedite its repair.
“It affects mobility pero kinahanglan nato na nga repair kay basig mo collapse nang tulay mas dako ang problema (we have to have it repaired because we will have a bigger problem if it collapses),” he said.
Duterte also said the informal settlers along the area caused the delay of the project.
He revisited the informal settlers immediately after the press conference Monday afternoon and discussed their temporary transfer while the repair is ongoing.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on April 22, 2014.