Duterte: Napoles list not valid evidence-A A +A
Friday, May 16, 2014
DAVAO City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said that presenting valid evidence against senators and congressmen, who allegedly misused their Priority Development Assistance Fund (Pdaf) or pork barrel, will suffice their accountability rather than listing their names on a sheet of paper.
Duterte said what was revealed is only a piece of paper with names on it.
"I'm not going to be judgmental. Let us see the evidence. Being a lawyer, I'd rather wait for the evidence. What we have seen so far is the list. And there are more," he told reporters in an interview Wednesday afternoon.
He said resolving the Pdaf scandal that involves lawmakers and Malacañang officials will take a long process.
The "Napolist" or the list presented by businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles, who is tagged as pork barrel queen, implicated dozens of legislators including two lawmakers from Davao City - 3rd District Rep. Isidro Ungab and Nograles (the list did not indicate whether it referred to former House Speaker Prospero Nograles or his son incumbent 1st District Rep. Karlo Nograles).
The long list has stirred the people's judgment but those in the list denied any link to Napoles and even questioned the credibility of the list.
"This has to be handled very, very carefully," Duterte said, adding “this is the time for sobriety. Let the Filipino decide what they want.”
Ungab, on the other hand, has denied his involvement on the scandal, but said he is open to any investigation to be conducted by any investigating body.
He also said he has never met Napoles in his entire life as congressman.
Ungab is now serving his last term in Congress service.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on May 16, 2014.