Death makes Duterte happy

-A A +A

Friday, July 11, 2014


WHAT makes Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte happy? Death. Death of a criminal, that is.

Duterte said this as he visited at the Southern Philippines Medical Center on Friday two policemen who were wounded in a recent clash with the New People’s Army in two hinterland barangays of Davao City.

He refused to take sides on the clash that resulted in the death of six policemen.

Duterte said he does “not want to place anybody in a bad light” as he said, there are some “issues that need to be threshed out.”

“Ang NPA pag namatay, I’m sad. Pag sundalo o pulis namatay, I’m sad. Pag kidnapper, I’m happy. Pag drug pusher namatay, I’m extra happy. I would kill them,” he said. “Pero itong revolution, iba to. Criminality, iba rin. Revolution I cannot fight them so I talk. Karamihan naman nahohostage doon, ako kumukuha doon. You know, may certain equation.”

Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte visits wounded soldiers in hospital
DAVAO. Six wounded policemen of the Special Action Force under the 4th Special Action Battalion of the Police Regional Office are visited by Davao City Mayor Rody Duterte who also gave them cash assistance from the City. (King Rodriguez)


The encounter took place in the villages of Baracatan and Catigan in Toril District around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Police Regional Office-Davao spokesperson Jed Clamor identified the six wounded policemen as Inspector Ruel Manga, Inspector Bernido Villamor, Police Officer (PO) 3 James Bangayan, PO3 Arthur Saavedra, PO1 Vincent Capalvas, and PO1 John Ambog, all belonging to the Special Action Force.

A soldier was also wounded and he was identified as Private First Class Cesar Bangkil, a member of the Philippine Army's 84th Infantry Battalion.

Initial investigation of the Toril Police Station revealed that two sections of the Philippine National Police Special Action Force led by Inspector Ruel Manga, who is among the wounded men, were in a combat operation at Mt. Talomo when the rebels attacked them.

Meanwhile, Isable Fermiza, spokesperson for the NPA's Mt. Apo Sub-Regional Command, said the attack disproves the Army’s claim last year that their Peace and Development Outreach Program made headways in Toril and the contiguous Sta. Cruz town in Davao del Sur, and that these areas are now free of rebels.

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on July 12, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Marginal Lives

Today's front page

Sun.Star Davao's front page for September 3, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs