Binugao vendors shooed off

-A A +A

Monday, July 14, 2014


VENDORS at the checkpoints in Toril District have all packed up and left following the 48-hour order to vacate given by the City Government of Davao.

City Demolition Unit head retired colonel Yusof Jimlani said the vendors on Saturday were given 48 hours to leave the area after no less than Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said vendors should not be selling in the area where Task Force Davao is inspecting vehicles for the city's security.

He said he was able to meet the vendors during his ocular inspection last Saturday, July 12.

Advertisement

During his visit, he found out that the number of vendors in Binugao checkpoint had already reached 40.

"They belong to one association," Jimlani said in an interview with reporters after the flag ceremony on Monday.

Meanwhile, he said his team also checked on the vendors who are positioned at the checkpoint in Sirawan, Toril and also told them to leave.

There were only four vendors in Sirawan, he said.

During their dialogue with the vendors, Jimlani said he warned them to leave within 48 hours or face demolition.

"I have to do the homework that was given to me by Mayor Duterte," he said.

"What played the important role here is the word security," Jimlani said.

Duterte on Wednesday ordered the removal of all vendors at the checkpoints in Toril.

"You (vendors) are trading on a dangerous ground, kasi always target ang military," he said.

"Yung mga sundalo binubully na. Bakit ganyan yan? Hindi naman ako papayag ng ganyan. That's why I am asking the vendors to go out immediately ASAP para walang gulo," he added.

While the vendors were told to leave, Jimlani said the City will find a relocation area for the vendors.

They thought of relocating them in Toril Public Market, he said. But he was quick to add that the Toril market is already packed with vendors.

"We will still look for another place, if there are any," he said.

Lieutenant Colonel Nestor Mondia, commander of TFD's Security Company who conducted checkpoints in Binugao, was relieved and was replaced by Captain Richard Duculan following the complaints filed by Toril checkpoint vendors identified as Grace Tapat, Junalyn Dalian, and Rolly Diego before the Toril Police Station.

However, Duterte on Wednesday defended Mondia.

He said checkpoints, especially at the entrance/exit points of Davao City, must be vendor-free since the TFD is imposing heightened security alert amid "terror threats" in the city.

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on July 15, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Marginal Lives

Today's front page

Sun.Star Davao front page for October 22, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • Festivals
  • Calamity Report
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • goodearth
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sinulog
  • Habemus Papam
  • Pacman blog
  • Obituary
  • Philippine Polls
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • ePaper