12 poisoned by mushrooms-A A +A
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
DAVAO CITY - Twelve people are currently getting medical help after having been poisoned by the mushrooms they ate for dinner last Monday at Purok 20, Barangay Catalunan Pequeño.
According to the list released by the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC), the victims were identified as Harly Jay Mamulo, 22; Jocelyn Mamulo, 40; Dimple Mamulo, 9; Jecel Mamulo, 9; Christian Dave Mamulo, 5; Retchell Mamulo, 7; Nino Lachica, 20; Jamily Mamulo, 13; Jessica Macapilit, 9; Junalyn Macapilit, 29; Nerisa Otasa, 19, and Winalyn Padillo, 26, all residents of the area.
The Mamulos, belonging to one family, and the other victims, who are their relatives, were brought to SPMC at 12:20 a.m. Tuesday.
Information gathered by SuperBalita Davao revealed that the members of the Mamulo family left to find dabong (bamboo sprouts) for their meal. As they went through the bamboo, they found a patch of mushrooms. They picked the mushrooms and added them to their dinner.
They also gave their relatives and neighbors some of what they cooked.
A while later, they began to feel stomach pains and began to vomit, prompting them to rush to the hospital.
SuperBalita tried to speak to the victims but to no avail because they are still resting at the hospital as of this posting Tuesday. (Jeepy P. Compio)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on August 13, 2014.