Davao police chief relieved-A A +A
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
DAVAO City Police Office (DCPO) director Senior Superintendent Vicente D. Danao Jr., who is facing charges for grave misconduct and physical injuries, was relieved from his post Monday.
Davao Police Regional Office (PRO) director Chief Superintendent Wendy Rosario issued the relief order to Danao dated September 1, 2014.
PRO chief of staff Senior Superintendent Camilo Cascolan said Danao is administratively relieved following the complaints earlier filed against him by his estranged wife.
Danao will be reassigned at the PRO-Regional Personnel Holding and Accounting Unit (RPHAU) while the investigation against him is still ongoing.
"Colonel Danao will be also placed under investigation here at the Camp Quintin Merecido [in Catitipan], lahat ng issues na kinakaharap niya. Let's wait and see what will happen next," Cascolan said.
For the meantime, Cascolan said it will be DCPO deputy director Superintendent Marvin Manuel P. Pepino who will take charge of the city police office.
Wait and see
When asked if the DCPO director has a chance to go back to his post, Cascolan said: "We still have to see the charges filed against him and evaluate if nararapat pa ba syang maging head ng Davao police office."
Danao earlier said he will leave his post if there will be an administrative order dismissing him as a DCPO director.
Regional Internal Affairs Service (RIAS) in Davao director Senior Superintendent Pedro Cabatingan Jr. said he had already submitted the summon to the office of the DCPO director last month.
Cabatingan added that Danao has the right to request for extension to file his counter-affidavit if needed.
"Ten days after he has submitted his counter-affidavit, that's the time we will schedule the preliminary hearing conference on the case. We will inform his wife on the matter in advance," Cabatingan said.
Danao was charged for four counts of physical injuries and grave misconduct, which Cabatingan said was, based on the incidents that happened way back in 2002.
He also said that police authorities only learned of this when the wife filed a complaint at the Philippine Consular Office in California, United States of America.
The wife allegedly claimed in her affidavit that she was a battered wife since 2002. The beating allegedly happened four times before she decided to leave Danao and move to the US where she and their two children reside.
Duterte would’ve still wanted Danao
Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said Monday he still would have wanted Danao to be the Davao City Police Office chief, but that he has no power to overturn the relief order issued by the PNP.
"I have no power to do that. I can only pick my choice, but as a matter of suspension ng disciplinary action, administratively hindi ko papel yan. Hindi ko teritoryo yan," he said.
He also said Danao must face the complaint in a Davao court since it happened here.
The complaint that has led to the relief order, however, happened years ago, and not while Danao was already the DCPO chief.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on September 02, 2014.