Duterte brushes off Iqbal's hand in Davao twin bombings | SunStar

Duterte brushes off Iqbal's hand in Davao twin bombings

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Duterte brushes off Iqbal's hand in Davao twin bombings

Friday, April 17, 2015

DAVAO City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte brushed off allegations made by Senator Alan Peter Cayetano that Moro Islamic Liberation Front's (MILF) chief peace negotiator Mohagher Iqbal was involved in the Davao twin bombings that killed 39 people and injured close to 200 others.

Cayetano made the revelation after announcing in public that Iqbal's real name is Datucan Abas.

The senator showed a court document ordering the arrest of a certain "Datucan Abas/Mohagher Iqbal" for his alleged involvement in the bombing of the Davao International Airport and Sasa Wharf in March and April 2003, respectively.

But Duterte said that members of the rebel group like the MILF usually commit crimes while fighting with the government. He said the government usually gives amnesty to rebels that clear them of the crimes they committed in the past.

At least 17 were killed and 56 were injured in the Sasa wharf bombing, while the Davao airport blast claimed the lives of 22 people and injured 143 others.

Earlier on, Duterte also brushed aside Iqbal's use of a fictitious name while talking peace with the government.

The mayor said Iqbal's identity has already been established and even though he is not using his real name, it will not have much effect on the peace agreement.

Duterte said that being revolutionaries, it is common for rebels to be using nom de guerre (pseudonyms).

Latest issues of SunStar Davao also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments