Duterte 50-50 in running for president | SunStar

Duterte 50-50 in running for president

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Duterte 50-50 in running for president

Saturday, August 29, 2015

(Sun.Star Davao File Photo)

GRATIFIED by the amount of people from different parts of the country who took part in the "Run Duterte Run" caravan Friday evening, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte announced a 50-50 chance of him running for the 2016 presidential elections.

Duterte explained that his family is behind his hesitance to run as they are afraid of the consequences.

"I need time to talk to my family because they are the ones who know about my health condition. Maybe if they saw this (pointing to the multitude of supporters), they will change their minds," the Mayor said.

When asked of his own decision, he came up with an honest answer, "I want to (run), 22 years akong mayor and I want to serve the people even in my old age but I have been talking about the retirement last time because I am in constant pain with my spinal complication."

At Rizal Park along San Pedro Street, 3,261 vehicles were utilized by Duterte's supporters from across Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao during the caravan, showing their growing desire for Duterte to be a presidential candidate.

Among them are political leaders who gave brief speeches to inform the public on how great a country Philippines would be if Duterte will be elected as a president.

San Luis, Batangas Mayor Samuel Noel Ocampo said, "Kahit matalo akong mayor sa 2016, basta manalong presidente si Duterte, tiyak na may mangyayaring maganda sa ating bansa."

Ocampo even kidded the people to shout at Mayor Duterte's arrival, "Mayor! Napapaligiran ka na namin, sumuko ka na!" just like in the movies.

Regional coordinator of Duterte for President Movement Ram Samar, for his part, said, "Sana pagbigyan n’yo ang Pilipinas. Napakaganda na ng ginawa nyo rito sa Davao, siguro kailangan naman na ibigay ng mga Dabawenyo ang mahusay na Mayor rito. Para naman yung kagandahan na nalalasap ninyo dito sa Davao ay malasap din namin sa Bicol, sa Naga, at sa buong Pilipinas!"

In an interview, Duterte said, he might come up with a firm decision by the first week of September.

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on August 30, 2015.

Latest issues of SunStar Davao also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments