Davao City mayor still doesn't want Mega Harbour project | SunStar

Davao City mayor still doesn't want Mega Harbour project

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Davao City mayor still doesn't want Mega Harbour project

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

DAVAO City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio does not personally want the multi-billion Mega Harbour reclamation project, but she knows this will benefit the city and not blocking it either.

Duterte-Carpio said documents for the multi-billion Mega Harbour project has already been sent to the National Economic Development Authority (Neda) for approval.

"The last update we have with the Mega Harbour project is that they have submitted and asked from us documents," the city mayor said in her first press conference after her maternity leave Tuesday, April 4.

Duterte-Carpio said she submitted the project documents for review by Neda as required.

Neda cannot give an assessment if the local government unit cannot give them the documents they need but it does not mean that she believes in the project as a person.

"Pero kung ako gyud personally, dili ko gusto ug reclamation dinha pero lahi man pud nang personal nimo nga gusto ug kinahanglan nimo nga buhaton as mayor, kung unsay makaayo para sa siyudad sa Davao mao na ang kinahanglan buhaton (Personally, I do not like the reclamation in the area, but your personal wants differ from what you should do as mayor. I abide by what can bring greater good to Davao. That is what should be done)," she said.

The port modernization project is a joint venture agreement (JVA) between the city and the Mega Harbour Port and Development Incorporated.

The JVA was signed by President Rodrigo Duterte during his term as mayor.

Published in the SunStar Davao newspaper on April 05, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Davao also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments