DIARRHEA cases among evacuees from Marawi City decreased to 60 percent after the Department of Health (DOH) provided evacuation centers with clean water supply, a DOH official said.
DOH Assistant Secretary for Mindanao Cluster and Davao Regional Director Dr. Abdullah Dumama Jr., in an interview, said they already sent 2,000 liters of water in each major evacuation center in Iligan City, Cagayan de Oro City, and Lanao del Sur after receiving diarrhea reports from the provinces.
"We provided sufficient numbers of water tanks, water bladder, including pipes for the faucets," Dumama said.
From May 24 to June 2, Dumama said 62 people who were admitted to the public hospitals from the evacuation centers were released after being cured.
From 62 patients, he said the number went down to an estimated 25 patients as of last Friday, June 18, after they sent the water supply. "We do not know yet if the number will go high again few days from now but rest assured we are doing our best to provide the cleanest water possible," Dumama said.
He said they put the water tanks far from the evacuation centers to avoid people from exploiting it. They provided tubes to connect the tank to the evacuation centers to prevent contamination.
All water supply, both for drinking and cleaning, were dropped with Hyposol, a simple water treatment technology, endorsed by DOH and WHO, for disinfecting raw or contaminated water to make it safe to use.
Dumama also said they had one case of cholera in Iligan City last June 2, yet he confirmed that the patient was already relieved and released from the hospital last week.
"So far, [the] condition inside the evacuation center in terms of water supply is good. Rest assured we will do more progress in making our evacuees comfortable and healthy," Dumama said.
Published in the SunStar Davao newspaper on June 18, 2017.
Latest issues of SunStar Davao also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.