Army, NPA clash anew in Davao Oriental | SunStar

Army, NPA clash anew in Davao Oriental

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Army, NPA clash anew in Davao Oriental

Monday, July 17, 2017

A 20-MINUTE gunfight occurred between the military and the New People's Army (NPA) members on Saturday afternoon, July 15, in Lupon town, Davao Oriental.

Commanding officer of the 28th Infantry Battalion, Ramon Zagala, said his men encountered about 40 rebels from Southeastern Committee (Secom) 18 and Pulang Bagani Command 6 led by Alyas Do at So Kirantik, Marayag village, in Lupon.

No government troops were injured during the encounter, which resulted in the recovery of one M14, one improvised explosive device, one magazine for M14, four magazine for AK 47, 50 blasting caps, one rifle grenade, 50 meters wire, and 100 meters wire, personal belongings, medical paraphernalia, and subversive document with high intel value.

According to the report, troops acted on information received from the community that the NPAs were massing up in the hinterlands of Marayag.

Zagala said the encounter is a manifestation of the community’s support to the Armed Forces of the Philippines to be free from NPA influence.

Published in the SunStar Davao newspaper on July 17, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Davao also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments