Army to New People's Army: ‘Walk the talk’

Army to Reds: ‘Walk the talk’

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Army to Reds: ‘Walk the talk’

Saturday, July 22, 2017

THE Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom) has urged the communist rebels to “walk their talk” and abandon violence as the government forces vowed to be relentless in combating their ranks to protect the communities against threats posed by their guerilla fronts.

In a statement issued on Friday, Eastmincom public information officer Major Ezra Balagtey said their military units are in full alert status amid series of attacks by the National People’s Army (NPA) and thwart any plans of the NPA within their area of responsibility (AOR).

“On our end, while we focus on preventing terrorism in Eastern Mindanao, we shall be steadfast in our commitment to secure the communities from other threats, more so with the NPA’s directive to conduct major atrocities,” he said.

The Eastmincom also slammed the directive of the communist leaders to its military wing to carry out guerilla warfare as President Rodrigo Duterte is close to deliver his State of the Nation Address (Sona) on Monday, July 24.

“The directive of the New People’s Army to launch attacks nationwide during the State of the Nation Address of President Rodrigo Duterte, particularly in Davao Region, is nothing but a way to embarrass the current administration,” he said.

“The NPAs do not contribute to the wellbeing of the communities but rather brings misery, hardship, and chokes the development that has long been anticipated by the Filipinos. Hence, we call on the New People’s Army to walk their talk,” he said.

Published in the SunStar Davao newspaper on July 23, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Davao also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments