Hunt on vs bomb prank caller | SunStar

Hunt on vs bomb prank caller

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Hunt on vs bomb prank caller

Sunday, October 01, 2017

LOCAL security forces are tracing the prank caller behind the bomb scare Friday, September 29, at Ateneo de Davao University (Addu) Jacinto Campus that triggered panic among students and employees.

The bomb scare led to the suspension of classes in Addu.

Task Force Davao Commander Colonel Nolasco Mempin told SunStar Davao that after receiving the report of a bomb threat, troops immediately went to the university to check the veracity of the report.

Around 3 p.m., he said they were able to clear the area and concluded that it was just a bomb joke, which is punishable by law under Presidential Decree (PD) 1727 or the Anti-Bomb Joke Law of the Philippines.

PD 1727 prohibits bomb jokes as these can possibly cause panic and spread false information.

Anyone charged violating the law can be imprisoned for a maximum of five years, and can also be fined with at least P40,000.

“Our law enforcement can trace the text or call and can lead to identification or arrest of those people for cybercrime,” he said.

Mempin said they have coordinated with the Philippine National Police (PNP) to investigate the case and make the perpetrator accountable for his or her action.

“We have referred it to PNP. We are awaiting results of their technical expert,” he said.

He reminded the public to be vigilant and alert. He added that such calls should be taken seriously and should be immediately reported to authorities for quick response and action.

“Always be vigilant of our personal identity posted in social media as the prank persons called the numbers of Addu students,” he said.

Published in the SunStar Davao newspaper on October 01, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Davao also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments