Fire razes 50 houses in Bucana, Davao City | SunStar

Fire razes 50 houses in Bucana, Davao City

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Fire razes 50 houses in Bucana, Davao City

Friday, October 13, 2017

SOME 50 houses were razed by fire on Thursday, October 12, at the Muslim Village, Purok 26, Barangay 76-A in Bucana, Davao City.

According to the residents, the fire started around 2 p.m. from the house of a certain Jazzy.

Based on the interview with the residents and the Bureau of Fire Protection, the fire was due to a faulty electrical wiring.

During the fire, residents in the area claimed that a seven-year-old was trapped inside a house. Fire inspector James Jimenez, however, clarified that this claim was not true based on their search.

Residents in the area were crying, among them was Lodelyn Canda who was searching for her missing daughter.

It was later found out that her nine-year-old daughter Alfaizah was out playing computer at SM City Davao. The mother and child had a tearful reunion.

"I am relieved, even if we do not have any place to live," she said in vernacular after she was reunited with her daughter.

Canda said she learned about the fire when her husband, a driver, called and told her that there's fire in the area. She hurried home from the condo where she was working.

Canda, during the interview, said they do not have plans where to temporarily stay and that she will wait for her husband to return from work.

Muhamidin Aminola, a driver who suffered minor burns, said it took the fire around 15 minutes to reach their house which is just two houses away from where the fire started.

"It was around 2:03 p.m. when it happened. I was able to save some of our clothes, and I think it is from electrical circuit. My family is safe now," he said in vernacular.

He said his burn was due to falling debris.

Meanwhile, Nur-in Muhamad who is planning to go to Dubai, wailed in front of the debris since all the documents needed for her overseas work were all burned.

"Wala najud mi mga gamit, tanan-tanan jud walay nabilin, walay nabilin sa among balay kay nagtrabaho tanan (All of our things were lost, all of it, nothing is left, no one was at home because we were at work)," she added.

It was past 3 p.m. that fire out was declared and the BFP conducted clearing in the area.

Fire victims have been assisted by barangay officials to seek temporary shelter at the mosque near the area.

As of 4 p.m., Thursday, the barangay officials are still conducting inventory on how many families were affected.

Published in the SunStar Davao newspaper on October 13, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Davao also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments