THE Office of the Civil Defense (OCD) in Davao Region said no casualties nor major damages were recorded in the onslaught of the tropical depression Agaton, which brought heavy rains in the region since December 31.
OCD-Davao training officer Marvin Samson, in a phone interview, said residents have nothing to worry as Agaton already passed through. The tropical depression was approaching Palawan, Tuesday.
"So far, maayos na naman ang lagay ng panahon dito sa Davao region. Bago pa man dumating si Agaton, nagsagawa na ng preemptive evacuation in some areas na posibleng maapektohan ng tropical depression," Samson said.
A total of 232 families or 894 individuals were reportedly displaced in Compostela Valley province due to Agaton. The families were from Nabunturan town with 74, Mawab town with 18, Montevista town with 73, and Laak with 90.
The OCD-Davao earlier raised its red alert status and conducted active monitoring and reporting system to ensure the safety of the people, particularly those who have been living on flood-prone and landslide-prone areas in the region.
"Sa kasalukuyan wala ng tropical depression. But we advised the public to maintain awareness on their surroundings for their own sake," Samson said.
Agaton has already made landfall on Tuesday in Socorro, Surigao del Norte at 1 a.m.; Claver, Surigao del Norte at 1:15 a.m.; Jagna town, Bohol at 4 a.m.; Santander town, Cebu at 5 a.m.; and Bais City, Negros Oriental at 7:30 a.m.
The tropical depression is expected to cross Palawan until Wednesday morning, today, and exit the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) through the West Philippine Sea by Thursday morning.
Published in the SunStar Davao newspaper on January 03, 2018.
Latest issues of SunStar Davao also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.