THE City Government of Davao plans to incorporate the cancelled Pasko Fiesta activities to the Araw ng Dabaw, an official said.
Davao City Tourism and Operations Office head Generose Tecson said Friday that they are still coming up with another theme to fit these events to the upcoming celebration.
"We will do the events in the Araw ng Davao, so we are changing the theme," Tecson said.
Tecson said the activities that were cancelled include Tugtugan/Yugyugan, Lamdag Parada, Koro sa Pasko and Pasko DabaDaba.
She said they provided assistance to the affected participants of the cancelled activities who already made preparations.
The assistance came from the consolation prize of the activities divided by the number of entries.
"They were given assistance because they had already spent, like rentals for the float, instruments, etc. Hindi naman natin ginusto yung nangyari, but it's hard to celebrate when the city is mourning with the families...who had lost their loved ones," Tecson said.
She said in case of the Tugtugan/Yugyugan, auditions were already conducted, so they opted to award the consolation prize per band of those who qualified for the finals.
Davao City Administrator lawyer Zulieka Lopez said last January 15 that the draft of the executive order to create the Araw ng Dabaw executive committee has been finalized and that it only needs the signature of Davao City Mayor Sara Z. Duterte-Carpio.
Published in the SunStar Davao newspaper on January 20, 2018.
Latest issues of SunStar Davao also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.