All set for third nat'l men's, women's tennis invitational-A A +A
Friday, January 24, 2014
PHILIPPINES' top netters will vie for honors when the 3rd National Men's and Women's Invitational Tennis Tournament gets underway on March 13 to 16 at the Woodridge Tennis Club courts in Maa, Davao City.
Tournament chair Anton Ferrazzini, president of Mercantile Corporation (Merco), in an e-mail to Sun.Star Davao Friday, said: "It's all systems go for this invitational tournament where the country's top netters will entertain us with top-notch tennis."
He said eight-time Philippine Columbia Association (PCA) Open champion and Davis Cupper Johnny Arcilla will lead the cast in men's singles event of the tournament that will also feature regulars Patrick John Tierro, Elbert Anasta, Mark Reyes, Ronard Joven, Roel Capangpangan, Leander Lazaro and Davao City's very own Mark Anthony Alcoseba.
Arcilla held the men's invitational title in 2011 and 2012. The Butuan City native is expected to defend his crown this year considering his immense exposure and championship experience in other huge tournaments last year.
The 2013 edition of the event was called off but organizers are upbeat about its revival this year.
"We will also have a women's singles event as well as mixed doubles, men's and women's doubles categories," Ferrazini said.
Confirmed women players include Edelyn Balanga, Marinel Rudas, Macy Gonzalez, Hannah Espinosa, Jzash Canja, Sally Mae M. Siso, Aileen Rogan and wild card player from Davao City, Jenni Celine Dizon.
Handsome cash prizes await the winners of the netfest that will have Bong Gervacio as tournament director. Organizers, however, will have yet to finalize the payout.
Proceeds will benefit the Maharlika Charity Foundation, Inc. anew. MLSA
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on January 25, 2014.