Sunday, April 8, 2012 - 10:19 p.m.
THOUSANDS of volunteers from different parts of the country and abroad arrived in Amlan town Sunday for the five-day Bayani Challenge 2012.
Amlan Mayor Bentham dela Cruz told Sun.Star that at least 2,000 volunteers through Gawad Kalinga, in cooperation with the Pilipinas Natin of the Presidential Communication Operations Office, will build at least 120 houses in Tambuhangin village to serve as relocation sites for victims of the recent typhoon that hit Negros Oriental.
Sunday, April 8, 2012 - 10:17 p.m.
THE Aviation Security Group in Dumaguete City is still on heightened alert status for the expected influx of passengers until Tuesday.
Police Chief Inspector Miller Guzman said that based on study, influx of passengers will be from Easter Sunday until Tuesday.
Thursday, April 5, 2012 - 01:10 a.m.
THE Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) in Negros Oriental through its Summer Program for Employment of Students (Spes) targeted 1,650 students to get summer job.
Vivencio Lagahid, Dole-Negros Oriental officer-in-charge, told Sun.Star that these students will be assigned to 15 local government units (LGUs), three private companies and three universities.
Thursday, April 5, 2012 - 01:09 a.m.
THE Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) has allotted P1.5 million for the salary of 2,500 workers from five towns that were hardly hit by the 6.9-magnitude earthquake in the first district of the province last February 6.
The fund will be released to local government units (LGU) of Ayungon, Tayasan, Jimalalud, La Libertad and Guihulngan City on April 18 this year.
Thursday, April 5, 2012 - 01:08 a.m.
THE Silliman University Volunteer Fire and Rescue Unit (SUVFRU) won second place in the 1st Regional Fire Olympics held March 29 in Cebu City.
Mark Reagan Garcia, director of the Office of Information and Publications of Silliman University (SU), said SUVFRU was the only group that represented the academic sector.
Tuesday, April 3, 2012 - 05:58 p.m.
A TOP official of the Gawad Kalinga (GK) assured that the 120 houses to be built in Amlan, Negros Oriental are not just typhoon-proof but earthquake-proof as well.
GK Panay and Negros Area Coordinator Joseph Rivera said the house with floor area of 22 square meters is made of pre-cast panel with solid posts, C parlances, long span roofing and concrete flooring.
Monday, April 2, 2012 - 11:15 p.m.
THE Regional Trial Court (RTC) in Dumaguete City dismissed libel suit against broadcaster Dionesio “Dions” Manaban.
Dr. Hilconida Calumpong, a professor of Silliman University, earlier sued Manaban of libel for allegedly maligning the former’s reputation.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 07:18 p.m.
A TOP official of Negros Oriental II Electric Cooperative (Noreco 2) confirmed that power rate will increase next billing month.
Noreco 2 Acting General Manager Dionefred Macahig told Sun.Star that there will be an increase of 25 centavos per kilowatt hour (kWh).
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 07:16 p.m.
THE Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) in Dumaguete City is always running out of blood, said administrator Louella Bael.
Bael told Sun.Star that since December last year until mid of February, Red Cross had no even single bag of blood in its blood bank.
Monday, March 26, 2012 - 09:44 p.m.
TOP officials of the Land Transportation Office (LTO) and Traffic Management Office (TMO) in Dumaguete City warned drivers who are allegedly involved in overcharging, refusal to convey passenger, among other traffic violations.
The warning was issued following the complaint of Elenita Paladama of Amlan, Negros Oriental against Rolando Bendanillo Jr., driver of a passenger motorcab who was serving in Dumaguete City.
Monday, March 26, 2012 - 09:42 p.m.
A TOP official of the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) in Negros Oriental supports the removal of value added tax (VAY) from petroleum products.
District Revenue Collector Cresencio Agad told Sun.Star that removal of VAT from petroleum products will mean the decrease of three percent tax collection.
Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 10:28 p.m.
THE Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) in Dumaguete City revealed that negligence among household members tops causes of fire incidents in Dumaguete City.
City Fire Marshall William Tacaldo said recent fire incidents were due to unattended lighted candle, kerosene lamp and even electric misuse.
Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 10:22 p.m.
THE Tabara wing of the Revolutionary Proletariat Army–Alex Bongcayao Brigade (RPA-ABB) expressed support to the peace process.
Regional commander Reynaldo Mallari, however, refused to give the details but said their move is to prove the revolutionary’s good intention.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 07:39 p.m.
THE Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (LDRRMO) and the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) conducted Thursday an earthquake and fire drill at the Dumaguete City Hall.
The BFP, however, expressed disappointment after it was noted that only few City Hall employees have participated in the training.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 07:38 p.m.
TOP officials of the Bureau of Fire Protection in Dumaguete City and Negros Oriental admitted Wednesday that they are incapable of setting off fire in high-rise buildings.
City Fire Marshall William Tacaldo, in a forum initiated by the Philippine Information Agency and held at Bethel Guest House, said their firefighting equipment are only capable of putting off fire occurring at three-storey buildings.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 07:37 p.m.
THE Philippine National Police (PNP) in Dumaguete City arrested two suspected members of a gun syndicate in Negros Oriental and seized high-powered firearms.
The suspects were identified as Roseller Monopolio, alias Boyet, 24, single and a resident of Purok Jasmin, Barangay Candau-ay; and Ricardo Noay, 29, married, of Barangay Cadawinonan, Dumaguete City.
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 10:32 p.m.
LOCAL officials in Negros Oriental are asking the Local Government department through a resolution to help provide fire trucks for at least five towns in the province.
The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) revealed recently that the municipalities of Bindoy, La Libertad and Vallehermoso in the first district, as well as the towns of Basay and Dauin in the third district still have no fire trucks.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 11:10 p.m.
THE Energy Development Corporation (EDC) poured in an additional P500,000 worth of relief goods to quake-hit families in the towns of Tayasan, Jimalalud and Guihulngan City in Negros Oriental.
EDC-Southern Negros Geothermal Production Field Vice President Dwight Maxino said the corporation has already given out P1.5 million worth of relief bags containing rice, canned goods, bottled water, blankets and flashlights to the earthquake victims since February up to the present.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 11:09 p.m.
A TWO-DAY mobile passport service will be done in Dumaguete City on May 5 and 6.
Personnel from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Bacolod Consular Office will be at the Robinson’s Place to entertain applications for new and renewal of expired passports from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. of May 5, and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. of May 6.
Monday, February 27, 2012 - 10:39 p.m.
A WEEK after the magnitude 6.9 earthquake hit the northern part of Negros Oriental, Governor Roel Degamo immediately requested the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) to conduct an assessment of the Twin Lakes areas where several faults could be found.
This is to allay fears of possible massive flooding should the walls of the Twin Lakes give way due to the faults underneath following the earthquake, which resulted to massive structural and non structural damages as well as loss to lives in several municipalities and city.
Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 11:41 p.m.
POPE Benedict XVI, has appointed Bishop John F. Du, the current prelate of the Diocese of Dumaguete, as Archbishop of Palo, Leyte.
The Diocese of Dumaguete received official word about the Appointment of Archbishop of Metropolitan Post (Philippines) from the Vatican late Saturday, according to Monsignor Julius Heruela, parish priest of the St. Catherine of Alexandria Parish in Dumaguete.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 07:31 p.m.
GEOLOGIST Maria Isabel Abigania informed Negros Oriental Governor Roel Degamo that aftershocks will be fewer in number and lesser in force than the magnitude 6.9 earthquake that struck the northern part of region on February 6, 2012.
Abigania is with the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) Quick Response Team (QRT).
Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 12:26 a.m.
NEGROS ORIENTAL -- Each day, some residents of Barangay Solonggon, La Libertad in Negros Oriental have to use their survival instincts, almost two weeks since a powerful quake hit their community.
To beat starvation, the family of Rosa Rebosquillo, 47, dug up a supply of root crops from their land.
Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 07:44 p.m.
THE Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) said Thursday that it has established two relief operations centers in Negros Oriental to speed up the delivery of food packs and clothing to earthquake victims.
The centers are located in Guihulngan City and at the Macias Sports Complex in Dumaguete City, near the Capitol building.
Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 01:40 a.m.
THE National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) has restored power transmission services in parts of Negros Oriental that were affected by the 6.9-magnitude earthquake last February 6.
Visayas Corp. Communication Officer Elmer Cruz said five transmission structures along the Amlan-Bindoy-Guihulngan 69kV transmission line were affected by the calamity.
Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 01:39 a.m.
TWO soldiers from the 32nd Division Reconnaissance Company of the Army’s 3rd Infantry Division turned over P90,000 cash found in the retrieval site of quake-hit Barangay Solonggon, La Libertad, Negros Oriental.
Privates Danny Faigane and Marlon Vera who found the money were part of the retrieval teams assigned in La Libertad following the 6.9-magnitude earthquake that hit Negros and Cebu islands last February 6.
Monday, February 13, 2012 - 10:04 p.m.
THE Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) in Central Visayas identified 39 villages in La Libertad and Guihulngan towns in Negros Oriental as landslide-prone following an inspection last February 7.
The agency also noted an artificial dam, or building up of water in two sites along Tinayunan River in Barangay Tinayunan Beach in Guihulngan City, prompting the MGB to recommend evacuation of residents downstream of the river as the artificial dams may collapse.
Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 12:49 a.m.
CEBU CITY (Updated) -- The number of fatalities in the 6.9-magnitude earthquake that struck Negros and Cebu islands last Monday rose to 39, with five more bodies recovered Friday.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), in its 8 p.m. report, also reported three aftershocks Friday, with the latest occurring at 4:46 a.m. in La Libertad town. The other two had the epicenter at Mabinay and Tayasan.
Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 12:02 a.m.
GLOBE Telecom has set up Libreng Tawag and Libreng Charging stations in four Negros Oriental towns that were severely damaged by the 6.9-magnitude earthquake that hit the province Monday.
A Libreng Tawag center was also put up in Dapitan City, Zamboanga del Norte, which was flooded due to continuous heavy rains since Wednesday.
Friday, February 10, 2012 - 05:35 p.m.
THE number of fatalities in the 6.9-magnitude earthquake that struck Negros and Cebu islands rose to 34 on Friday.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), in its 8 a.m. Friday report, recorded 34 fatalities all from Negros Oriental.