Dengue cases still on the rise-A A +A
Friday, September 7, 2012
THE reported cases of the deadly dengue virus remain on the rise with latest update from the Department of Health (DOH) stating a nationwide count of 80,745.
The figure covers the January to August 2012 statistics topped now by the National Capital Region, Central Luzon and Calabarzon. This figure is 14.14 percent higher compared to last year’s incidents where majority of those affected were male patients aged 1 to 10 years old.
The DOH said dengue occurrence throughout the country is still alarming, which caused ex-officio Councilor Roberto “Bobby” Divinagracia to take renewed action.
Divinagracia is the president of the Iloilo City Liga ng mga Barangay (League of Barangays).
Local statistics showed a continuing trend of rising dengue incidents as reported and validated by the Iloilo City Health Office (CHO).
Divinagracia said the June report of the CHO has since showed a surge on dengue cases numbering to 529 with six deaths. Same period of last year only had 92 cases with two deaths.
“We don’t want a repeat of the scenario in 2010 when the city ranked among the highest in Western Visayas with most number of (dengue) cases,” Divinagracia said.
“Certainly, dengue remains a priority concern in our barangays and with the latest DOH appeal, we want to reiterate our call to the community. Let us keep up our guards in order to keep up as well the significant drop in overall statistics that was noted in 2011,” he added.