Court junks vendors’ petition for TRO-A A +A
Monday, June 16, 2014
THE Regional Trial Court Branch 28 under Judge Loida Maputol has junked the petition of central market vendors here for a 72-hour Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) against two City Government officials officials namely city administrator Norlito Bautitsta and city legal officer Daniel Dinopol.
The court said there is “no existence of extreme urgency nor grave and irreparable injury that may be caused to the petitioners in the evaluation”.
The petition for a TRO was filed by Association of Stall Owners and Transient Vendors of Iloilo City Public Market Inc. (ASTRAVEN-ICPMI) President Rex Donasco and other association officers protesting the city’s Market Committee headed by Bautista in calling last week the vendors to come and be evaluated for their occupied stalls.
The vendors fear the evaluation will be the beginning of their displacement from the central market prior to the implementation of the Central Business District (CBD) Revitalization project.
On the other hand, Bautista said that despite the protest, several market vendors came and be evaluated. During the evaluation, the ownership of market stalls will be traced. The committee will also check if the original awardees are still the occupants.
Bautista said they are going to check the status of the stalls and the market committee is ready to declare the stalls vacant and award them to the present occupants or whoever is interested in occupying them.
Bautista said vendors who attended the evaluation were receptive of the evaluation process and schedule other evaluation dates to complete the more than 1,000 stallholders and table occupants. More than 700 transient vendors are also enjoined to register with the market in-charge.
The Market Committee has discovered irregularities in stall ownership and they are working on fixing them. Bautista clarified that the evaluation process is not part of the CBD Revitalization project and that the stalls will still be awarded to the present occupants.