51 illegal fishers nabbed-A A +A
Thursday, July 24, 2014
ILOILO – The Provincial Bantay Dagat Task Force apprehended 51 fishermen using “hulbot-hulbot” (Danish seine) in two separate operations held in Ajuy and Carles this week.
Of the arrested fishermen, 13 were caught on Wednesday evening in Ajuy and the rest were caught Thursday in Decaña and Naburot Islands in Carles.
They were onboard four fishing boats owned by Romel de Guzman (F/B RJ) of Carles, Rosalinda Villanueva (F/B Rosal) of Estancia, Iloilo; and Ricky Tan Sr. and Tonting Camarines of Manapla, Negros Occidental.
Senior Police Officer 1 (SPO1) Gilbert Piedad, the task force’s operation chief, said the fishermen will face charges for violating Sections 89 (use of fine mesh net) and 90 (use of active gear in the municipal waters and bays) of Republic Act 8550 or the Philippine Fisheries Code of 1998.
The use of hulbot-hulbot has been declared unlawful by the Fisheries Administrative Order 246 signed by Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala on September 12, 2013.
The person or organization engaging in Danish seine fishing has been given six months from the publication of the order to restructure or convert their fishing gears into legitimate ones.
Those who failed to follow the order are being arrested and charged by the task force.
Lately, some of the crew of the hulbot-hulbot operators sought the help of Governor Arthur Defensor Sr.
They wanted the province to provide them with motorized bancas as part of the Adopt a Fisherman Program for they, too, were victims of Super Typhoon Yolanda.
The governor vowed to attend to their request. “We will see. So far, we distributed more or less 8,000 motorboats and the donations keep on coming,” he said. (Jezza A. Nepomoceno/Capitol News)