TWO more individuals in Iloilo City were tested positive of Zika virus as confirmed by the Department of Health (DOH), Tuesday, September 13.
The DOH Epidemiology Bureau confirmed the two new cases based from the test results done at the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM).
It also confirmed that the two victims were living in the same household of the first confirmed case, the 45-year-old woman, resident of Barangay Benedicto in Jaro district.
Both cases were presented with mild skin rash not accompanied by other signs and symptoms unlike the first confirmed case that was presented with skin rash, joint pains, and red eyes.
Meanwhile, the two victims have already recovered from their mild illness and were not hospitalized.
None of the victims are pregnant.
Last week, personnel of the DOH visited the village to get some mosquito samples to determine if indeed there was presence of Aedes aegypti in the area.
Specifically, 88 households were visited around and near the residence of the confirmed cases.
Most of the containers identified as mosquito breeding sites were positive for larvae/pupae of Aedes aegypti, the principal mosquito vector for the Zika virus.
DOH Chief Epidemiologist Glenn Alonsabe said there might be a possibility of more Zika cases in Iloilo City.
He said that the public should not disregard the dengue problem in the region which is a “clear and present danger in the region.”
He also said that public should not fear Zika virus since dengue is more deadly.
As of September 3, dengue cases in Western Visayas reached 16,098 with 44 deaths.
Iloilo City has three deaths while Iloilo province has 15 deaths.
Health Secretary Paulyn Jean Rosell-Ubial urged all local government units (LGUs) to implement intensive mosquito control campaigns to stop the spread of Zika virus. (PNA)