SEVEN illegal fishermen were arrested and will be paying P2,500 compromise fine, as imposed by the Municipal Government of Concepcion, for gathering shrimp and squid without permits in the coastal town.
These fishermen were arrested during two different operations led by the Provincial Bantay Dagat Task Force off the coast of Concepcion.
“Most of these fishermen chose to venture into a compromise agreement with the Municipal Government involved in order to gain freedom from detention,” explained Police Officer 3 Charlie Asturias.
He added arrested fishermen have two choices: either they would go for a compromise or they would face the charges we could file against them for violating the law.
The recent apprehensions of illegal fishers consist of the following:
1. Motor banca (M/BCA) “Yvonne” - owned/operated and piloted by Leony Betita, resident of Talisay, Polopina, Concepcion, Iloilo.
2. M/BCA “Lyhro James” - owned/operated by Marjorie Pacardo and piloted by Ramon Pacardo, residents of Talisay, Polopina, Concepcion, Iloilo
3. M/BCA Unnamed - owned/operated and piloted by Rey Dadivas, resident of Banate, Iloilo.
1. M/BCA Don Rich John – owned/operated by Marchel Laurino and piloted by Ronel Navarro, a resident of Barangay Macatunao, and Poblacion, Concepcion, Iloilo respectively.
2. M/BCA Haida – owned/operated and piloted by Hanibal Arbegoso a resident of Polopiña, Concepcion, Iloilo.
These fishermen were fined based on their violation of Section 9.06 Municipal ordinance 01-2008 also known as Engaging in fishing without a Municipal Permit or License.
Asturias warned the public that the Provincial Bantay Dagat Task Force has increased its logistics and manpower to impose Governor Arthur Defensor Sr.’s directive to crackdown illegal fishers.
The task force remains vigilant in this aggressive and massive campaign against all forms of illegal fishing because there are still notorious repeat offenders. (Jezza Nepomoceno)