De Lima: Anti-China group behind foiled bomb attack

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 11:16 a.m.

MANILA -- A group of "misguided" individuals protesting the government's alleged weak stance in the territorial dispute with China was behind the foiled bomb attack at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said Tuesday.

Speaking to reporters, de Lima said the arrested suspects also admitted that they are against the country's oligarchs led by Filipino-Chinese businessmen who control a huge chunk of the nation's wealth.

Abattoir obtains business permit

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 02:41 a.m.

AVM Bernardo Slaughterhouse, operator of Bacolod city-owned abattoir, finally received the original copy of their business permit Monday.

Marie Anne Biasca, head of the City Mayor’s Office-Permits and Licensing Division, said a representative of AVM Bernardo claimed their business permit around 9:30 a.m.

Ombud dismisses raps vs La Castellana mayor

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 02:41 a.m.

THE Office of the Ombudsman Visayas dismissed for lack of merit the criminal and administrative complaints filed against La Castellana Mayor Alberto Nicor and four municipal department heads.

Vice Mayor Felix Feria IV and five councilors filed the complaints in January 2013.

Guv: Raw sugar should be tax free

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 02:40 a.m.

NEGROS Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. said Monday that raw sugar should not be taxed as there is an existing law stating that agricultural products should be tax free.

What should be taxed is refined sugar, Marañon said.

DPWH vows to address flooding in Bacolod City

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 02:40 a.m.

THE Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) assured the Bacolod City Government that they will address the flood problems in the city.

Engr. Herminio Gulmatico, assistant district engineer, met Greg Gasataya with the personnel of the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) and City Engineer’s Office (CEO) at the People’s House to discuss the concern.

Faulty drainage blamed on Oro flooding

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 02:23 a.m.

A CAGAYAN de Oro City official blamed the city’s faulty drainage for causing the massive urban flooding Sunday evening that sent motorists and commuters stranded for more than an hour along the main roads in barangays Carmen, Kauswagan, Bulua and Lapasan.

Teddy Sabuga-a, city social welfare and development chief, underscored the importance of the drainage which could have averted the flash floods that resulted to displacement of residents in affected areas.

No public fund spent for Oro’s fiesta

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 02:22 a.m.

JUDGING from the various events held during the fiesta activities last week, the celebration of the feast of Saint Augustine has been considered a huge success.

These events that made up the “Higalaay” festival might have been costly, but the head of the fiesta committee said it didn’t cost the city government a single cent.

Lagbas’ wife takes oath today as board member

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 02:21 a.m.

THE wife of deceased Misamis Oriental board member Roldan Lagbas is set to take her oath later today as the official replacement of her husband’s post at the provincial board.

By virtue of President Benigno Aquino III's operation of law, Susan Lagbas has been declared by the president as an official member of the board through a letter sent to the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) in Misamis Oriental on August 11.

Soldiers’ widows receive cash grants

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 02:21 a.m.

MORE than 20 families of soldiers belonging to the Philippine Army based in Mindanao received Sunday the cash assistance from the Alay Sa Kawal Foundation Inc. (Ask)

Vice President Jejomar Binay, Ask chairman, together with Maj. General Ricardo Visaya, 4th Infantry Division (4th ID) commanding general handed to the beneficiaries P30,000 for each family who are survivors of soldiers who died in action or were combat casualties in the different military operations conducted in the entire island.

Davao police chief relieved

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 12:17 a.m.

DAVAO City Police Office (DCPO) director Senior Superintendent Vicente D. Danao Jr., who is facing charges for grave misconduct and physical injuries, was relieved from his post Monday.

Davao Police Regional Office (PRO) director Chief Superintendent Wendy Rosario issued the relief order to Danao dated September 1, 2014.

Definitely, not

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 12:16 a.m.

CONTRARY to the statement of lawyer Salvador Panelo, Mayor Rodrigo R. Duterte denied on Monday having said he would run as president in 2016.

Duterte reiterated he does not deserve the position.

Suspected syndicate man killed

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 12:16 a.m.

A MAN who is allegedly a member of a notorious crime syndicate was killed in a shootout with the authorities while three others were arrested on Sunday in a raid at Sitio Mabuhay in Barangay Cabaywa, Asuncion town in Davao del Norte.

Eastern Mindanao Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) director Senior Superintendent Joel Pernito identified the fatality as Eliseo Jimenez, alias Agui, 30, a right hand of Tukay (leader of the Sultan Group), and a resident of Sitio Mabuhay in Cabaywa.

Manhunt vs teen's murder suspects

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 12:15 a.m.

MEMBERS of the Buhangin Police Station are still trying to name suspects in the killing of a 17-year-old boy at Juliville Subdivision in Barangay Tigatto, Buhangin District in Davao City on Sunday.

The victim was identified as Patrick John Pasaje Bernales, alias Pedot, 17, a student, resident of Tinago at Juliville Subdivision. Bernales succumbed to two gunshot wounds in his head.

Central 911 is Pagasa Awardee

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 12:14 a.m.

THE Davao City Central Communication and Emergency Response Center (Central 911) is one of the recipients of the Pagasa Awards of the Civil Service Commission (CSC).

This is in line with the 114th anniversary of the CSC with the theme "Tapat na serbisyo alay ko, dahil lingcod bayani ako."

Mindanaoans urged to nominate for TOYM

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 12:14 a.m.

THE Junior Chamber International (JCI) Davao encourages all Mindanaoans to nominate for The Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) awards.

Now on its 55th year, the TOYM awards according to Mark Lester Manalo, chairperson of the TOYM search committee, only had a few honorees from Mindanao. TOYM awards, according to Manalo, is given to individuals who had shown exemplary work in their field of endeavor and service to humanity.

Aquino: Positive transformation in Minda due to CAB

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 12:13 a.m.

PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III said that they foresee a positive transformation in the island with the signing of the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB) last March 27, 2014.

2 BI-Davao officials face separate raps

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 12:12 a.m.

TWO officials of the Bureau of Immigration (BI)-Davao are facing separate charges before the Regional Trial Court (RTC) after they were accused of falsifying documents.

Facing charges for violation of Article 171 (Falsification by public officer, employee or notary or ecclesiastic minister) of the Revised Penal Code are Benjamin Lao, former BI-Davao immigration officer and Ernesto Hechanova Mercado, BI-Davao legal officer II.

2 women nabbed in P1M buy-bust op sued

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 12:12 a.m.

TWO women are facing charges before the City Prosecution Office after they were arrested for possession of over P1 million worth of illegal drugs in a buy-bust operation along J. P. Laurel Avenue in Davao City on Sunday.

Facing charges for violation of the Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 are Johaira Marcos Sultan, 29, and a native of Salvador, Lanaodel Norte, and Debbie Marcos Canada, 28, and a resident of Barangay 26-C, Lizada Street in R. Magsaysay Ave.

City makes more

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 12:09 a.m.

SEVEN years after it was declared as a city, Naga reported a P414-million increase in revenues.

In his State of the City Address yesterday, City of Naga Mayor Valdemar Chiong said that from P112 million seven years ago, its revenues reached P526 million last year, or a P414-million increase.

Cebu mayor cuts class short, calls for drainage funds

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 12:07 a.m.

CEBU CITY (Updated) - Classes in all elementary and secondary schools in Cebu City were suspended past noon Monday because of the bad weather brought by a low-pressure area (LPA).

Mayor Michael Rama announced the cancellation of classes as recommended by Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pag-asa) Mactan Chief Oscar Tabada.

Caught off-guard

Monday, September 1, 2014 - 11:55 p.m.

CITING budgetary constraints, the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) National Headquarters has decided to pull out all its personnel at the Operation Second Chance (OSC) in Cebu City, a facility for juvenile delinquents.

BJMP wrote Cebu City Hall that its decision will take effect 60 days after the local government received the letter.

PB adds teeth to measure, protects all shark species

Monday, September 1, 2014 - 11:54 p.m.

CATCHING, transporting, disposing of and selling sharks are now prohibited in Cebu Province.

The Cebu Provincial Board (PB) approved yesterday an amendment to Ordinance 2012-05, also known as the Provincial Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Ordinance of Cebu, declaring all shark species as protected.

Int’l group assesses Yolanda foreign aid

Monday, September 1, 2014 - 11:53 p.m.

AN INTERNATIONAL team will assess the interventions of foreign non-government organizations in local government units in northern Cebu, which were hit by typhoon Yolanda.

Gas station heist proves fatal

Monday, September 1, 2014 - 11:52 p.m.

TWO gasoline stations in Barangay Luray II, Toledo City in western Cebu were robbed by four people late Sunday night.

Before the suspects could cart away their combined haul of P13,000 cash, the second heist turned into a bloody shootout between them and the gasoline station owner, killing one suspect and wounding three others.

City, municipal halls ‘should have CCTVs’

Monday, September 1, 2014 - 11:51 p.m.

THE Provincial Board (PB) approved a resolution, urging all local government units (LGUs) to install closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras inside city halls and municipal halls to improve security.

Pinamungajan was the latest town to be victimized by burglars, losing P430,000 from its treasurer’s office last Sunday.

Police to look into death of 8-year-old boy

Monday, September 1, 2014 - 11:49 p.m.

POLICE are investigating the “mysterious” death of an eight-year-old boy in Barangay Magsaysay, Balamban, Cebu.

Christian Tapia died last Sunday dawn reportedly from poisoning even after he was brought to the emergency room of a hospital in Cebu City.

Rafi, LGUs open Mega Cebu month

Monday, September 1, 2014 - 11:48 p.m.

THE Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc. (Rafi), local government units and other sectors launched the 2nd Mega Cebu Month with the theme “Engaging Change” at the Capitol Social Hall yesterday.

8 brgys. not yet connected to City’s command center

Monday, September 1, 2014 - 11:47 p.m.

EIGHT out of 80 barangays in Cebu City are still not connected to Cebu City’s Command Control Center, said Councilor Dave Tumulak, presiding officer of the Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction Council.

According to Tumulak, eight of these barangays lack handheld radios intended for disaster emergencies.

Marina concludes pre-trial hearing

Monday, September 1, 2014 - 11:46 p.m.

THE Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) hearing panel concluded the pre-trial of the case against 2Go Group, which owned the ferry St. Thomas Aquinas, and Philippine Span Asia Carrier Corp. (PSACC), which operates Sulpicio Express Siete, to determine their criminal and administrative liabilities.

Marina Administrator Maximo Mejia Jr. told Sun.Star Cebu that the trial of the case will follow to determine whether the two shipping companies are guilty or not.

City wants to buy 3-ha. lot

Monday, September 1, 2014 - 11:45 p.m.

THE Cebu City Government is determined to acquire the estimated 3,000-sq.-m. property in Barangay Sapangdaku.

The lot will be used by the City for the village’s new elementary school.

FOREX: US$ 1.00 = PhP 43.660

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas

Philippine Lotto Results

Gamesort iconCombinations
Megalotto 6/4519-35-20-41-44-30
4Digit7-4-5-7
Swertres Lotto 11AM6-6-6
Swertres Lotto 4PM1-1-6
Swertres Lotto 9PM8-8-1
More results

Sun.Star Jobs
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Pnoy
  • Calamity Report
  • Sinulog
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • ePaper
  • Obituary
  • Philippine Polls
  • goodearth
  • Habemus Papam
  • Filipino Abroad
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • Pacman blog
  • Festivals