Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:13 a.m.
MOTORISTS and jeepney drivers may get a reprieve from high pump prices next week, Energy Secretary Rene Almendras said Thursday.
Almendras, who was at the Senate for a budget hearing for his department, said global oil prices have been going down because of an economic slow down in Europe. He said oil
Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:12 a.m.
PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III has brought home about $1.4 billion investment commitments from Japan after a four-day official working visit.
In his arrival statement at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Centennial Terminal 2 Wednesday evening, the President said his short visit to Japan was successful.
Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:08 a.m.
EXPECT fewer flight cancellations in the next few days with the upcoming implementation of the Philippine Airlines' (PAL) outsourcing program on Saturday, a company official said.
“Cancellations are still expected but operations will slowly normalize in a month. This is part of the transition adjustments,” PAL vice president for corporate communications Joey de Guzman told Sun.Star.
Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:07 a.m.
MALACANANG said it has no choice but to recognize the holdover capacities of incumbent officials of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (Armm) whose terms are about to end on Friday.
"Since we cannot appoint new OICs, we are bound to respect the holdover for now," Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said, referring to a Supreme Court decision disallowing the President from appointing Armm officers-in-charge.
Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:06 a.m.
PART of the proceeds from the Malampaya natural gas project in Palawan should go into cutting electricity costs, Senator Ralph Recto said Thursday.
Recto, who filed a resolution in July to put Malampaya proceeds into paying off the National Power Corp.'s debts, said the natural gas project should benefit Filipinos directly. In August, the Philippine Navy received its newest and biggest ship, a retired US Coast Guard cutter bought with money from Malampaya.
Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:05 a.m.
THE government has not received specific reports of any threats in Metro Manila despite the confirmed merger of regional terror network Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) and local terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG).
This was announced by a Palace spokesperson, confirming findings of a Singapore-based terrorism expert who said that the two terrorist groups are now operating as one organization.
Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:05 a.m.
AN ELECTRONIC identification system has been installed at a Taguig City facility that currently detains members of the influential Ampatuan clan, who are suspects in the gruesome Maguindanao massacre.
The system, which uses biometrics--a method that authenticates a person based on unique physical characteristics--was tested on Thursday, during the resumption of the massacre trial at the Quezon City Jail Annex of the Metro Manila District Jail (MMDJ) at Camp Bagong Diwa, Bicutan.
Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:04 a.m.
THE Supreme Court Second Division upheld the conviction of 17 Abu Sayyaf members, including their late head Khadaffy Janjalani, for the June 2001 abduction of Ediborah Yap and three nurses working at a government hospital in Lamitan, Basilan.
Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:03 a.m.
THE Philippine government has quickened the pace of its spending, resulting in the first monthly increase of fund releases in August.
The government spent P114.93 billion in August of 2011, 7.9 percent higher than the P106.5-billion registered in the same month of last year, Budget Secretary Florencio Abad said.
Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:02 a.m.
THE government may soon restrict the construction of single detached houses in Metro Manila to conserve space, Vice President Jejomar Binay told senators Thursday.
At the Senate for budget hearings for the country's housing agencies, Binay--chairman of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council--said developers "will have to go vertical and start constructing multi-storey houses to maximize remaining space.”
Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:00 a.m.
SAN MANUEL, Pangasinan -- One of the gates of the San Roque dam was were partially opened by half a meter on Thursday afternoon, a move seen to reduce water stored at the facility that has risen to critical levels.
The water release was announced by the National Power Corporation (Napocor)-Agno Flood Forecasting and Warning System office on Wednesday afternoon.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 11:55 p.m.
BALANGIGA, Eastern Samar -- The Balangiga Encounter Day was commemorated Wednesday, with officials reiterating the call for the return of historic bells taken by American troops as war booties 110 years ago.
Town Mayor Viscuso de Lira is hoping that the Americans will support the desire of town folks to recover the bells as a symbol of good ties between the United States and the Philippines.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 11:53 p.m.
TACLOBAN City Mayor Alfred Romualdez and his wife Councilor Cristina Gonzales-Romualdez distributed Wednesday relief and financial assistance to 30 families affected by a fire that hit Barangay 56-Pericohon last week.
The relief distribution was held at the Tacloban City Hall grounds. Twenty-four families who houses were destroyed by the fire received financial assistance worth P10,000 each, while six others whose houses were damaged received P5,000 each.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 11:52 p.m.
THE National Nutrition Council (NNC) will confer the Nutrition Honor Award (NHA) to the island town of Limasawa in Southern Leyte, the first local government unit to receive the country’s highest recognition given to areas working to curb malnutrition.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 11:48 p.m.
A VAN fell on its side when its driver lost control of the steering wheel, injuring 14 passengers on Wednesday.
Police Station 3 commander Chief Inspector Elmer Acuña said the accident happened at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday in the village of Sangali, 25 kilometers east of Zamboanga City.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 11:47 p.m.
OPERATIVES of the Anti-Illegal Drugs Special Operations Task Force (AIDSOTF) of the Zamboanga City Police Office (ZCPO) arrested two notorious drug pushers operating in remote villages of the city.
ZCPO Director Edwin de Ocampo said the suspects were arrested around 10 p.m. Tuesday in the village of Tictapul, 84 kilometers east of the city.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 11:47 p.m.
A 25-YEAR-OLD pedicab driver chopped off the right hand of his father for making fun of his late mother's name while the victim was having a drinking spree with a friend.
The Police Station 5 said the incident happened around d8:45 p.m. Tuesday at Sitio Lumiyap, Divisoria village, six kilometers east of Zamboanga City.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 11:46 p.m.
THE Philippines Ports Authority (PPA) will rehabilitate the port of Jolo, the capital town of Sulu, to boost the water transport sector in the province, a top official said Thursday.
PPA Port District Office-Southern Mindanao (PPA-PDO-SOMIN) Principal Engineer Jameson Lee said they have commissioned the Science and Vision consulting firm to undertake a feasibility study in preparation for the rehabilitation of the Jolo port.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:17 a.m.
SEASONED journalist Primo Esleyer Sr. died at 3:45 p.m. Wednesday at Riverside Medical Center in Bacolod City. He was 79.
Esleyer succumbed to cirrhosis of the liver, a disease he battled for a year of treatment, according to Pat Bravo, his sister-in-law.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:16 a.m.
TWO members of the Revolutionary Proletarian Army-Alex Bongcayao Brigade (RPA-ABB) were released from Silay City Jail Wednesday afternoon, after they posted bail at P20,000 each.
The release of Bernie Casipe and Erwin Galagate was made after about 30 members of the RPA-ABB staged a rally and noise barrage at the Silay City Hall Wednesday morning, calling for the release of their two comrades who were arrested for alleged illegal possession of firearms.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:14 a.m.
NEGROS Occidental Police Provincial Office (Noppo) Director Allan Guisihan said Wednesday that the filing of charges against the two members of Revolutionary Proletarian Army-Alex Boncayao Brigade (RPA-ABB) does not merit the relief of Silay City Police commander Superintendent Rasauro Francisco.
RPA-ABB members Bernie Casipe, 20, of Hacienda Kinilatan, Barangay Guimbala-on and Erwin Galagate, 20, of Hacienda Margasa 2, Barangay E.Lopez, all in Silay City, were recently arrested by members of the Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit in Barangay Patag, Silay City for illegal possession of firearms.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:06 a.m.
A RESIDENT of Ilog town died of drowning and four towns in the province were affected by heavy rains brought about by Typhoon Pedring.
Based on the report of the Provincial Welfare and Development Office, the affected towns are Valladolid, Pontevedra, Ilog and Hinobaan.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:05 a.m.
ACTING Mayor Jude Thaddeus Sayson will lead the opening of the 32nd MassKara festival on October 1 at the city’s public plaza along with the members of the City Council.
Sayson was tasked to officially open the festival with Silver MassKara Festival Organization Inc. Director Eli Francis Tajanlangit, as Mayor Evelio R. Leonardia is in Indonesia attending an equally important gathering and will be back on October 3.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:04 a.m.
ABOUT one thousand members of Philippine National Police (PNP), Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and peacemakers will be deployed in different areas of Bacolod City on the opening of the 32nd MassKara Festival on October 1.
Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO) Director Ricardo De la Paz said Wednesday they already received commitment from the Regional Training School-Western Visayas that about 100 police trainees will be sent to augment the BCPO, adding 100 will be deployed by the Regional Public Safety Battalion, 62 from Negros Occidental Provincial Police Office, and 115 from AFP.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:03 a.m.
THE Office of the Ombudsman Visayas dismissed for lack of jurisdiction the administrative case filed against the wife of the late Mayor Luis Mondia Jr. of Pulupandan.
The dismissal was approved by Deputy Ombudsman Pelagio Apostol, dated June 15, 2011, in favor of Evelinda Mondia, private secretary to the former mayor of Pulupandan.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:01 a.m.
VARIOUS labor and militant organizations in Bacolod and Negros Occidental are holding a symbolic occupation of the old Bacolod airport and rally at the Bacolod City public plaza in support of the Philippine Airlines Employees Association (Palea).
Labor leader Winnie Sancho said that a group of about 150 is starting the series of rallies to show their support to fellow workers.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:01 a.m.
SECRETARY to the mayor and city administrator Dr. Rogelio Balo said on Wednesday that the two north terminals, operated by Crispin Chua and Vallacar Transit Inc., will have to comply with the requirement of a business permit before the 45-day experimental period lapse on October 25, 2011.
The operation of these two terminals started on September 11, 2011.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:00 a.m.
CITY Council member Bobby Rojas said that the Ad Hoc Committee, headed by Councilor Sonya Verdeflor, will release the result next week on the investigation of the alleged tampering of the council's Minutes of Session, dated May 25, 2011.
The said session was relative to the request by Ceres Home Owners Association for an authority for the Mayor to sign the agreement with the association.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 09:59 a.m.
ACTING Bacolod City Mayor Jude Thaddeus Sayson asked Engineer Reynaldo L. Venturina, the new Bacolod Department of Public Work and Highways (DPWH) head, to coordinate with the Bacolod Traffic Authority Office (BTAO), relative to the implementation of the road projects in the city to avoid traffic congestions and confusions.
He said proper coordination with the local government unit is very important so that they could prepare ahead in terms of traffic rerouting and road closures.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 09:57 a.m.
BACOLOD City Councilor El Cid Familiaran, through the City Council, requested DPWH Secretary Rogelio Singson to transfer the site of the proposed flyover from Magsaysay-Araneta Streets to the junction of Lopue’s East, City of Bacolod.
He said that the present development in the City’s eastern part, especially along Burgos St.-Circumferential road that made these areas busy, demands this infra project that would maintain the orderly traffic flow in the area.