Aquino’s Sona speech may run 15-20 minutes-A A +A
Thursday, July 22, 2010
PRESIDENT Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III is now on his third draft of his first State of the Nation Address (Sona), incoming Communications Group member Ricky Carandang said.
Carandang said Aquino’s Sona has already reached 30 pages but it would be trimmed as they intend to limit its delivery within 15 to 20-minute period, adding that it would be delivered in Filipino.
The writers include Aquino himself, Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacrieda, Carandang, Communication Group member Manuel “Manolo” Quezon III, and speech writer Mai Mislang.
Lacierda said the Sona was originally intended to last for eight to 10 minutes but the recent reports from the different Cabinet officials had been included.
In a separate briefing, Lacierda said Aquino’s first state address may include some of the irregularities and problems that were committed in some of the departments during the Arroyo administration.
“Merong mga ibang na-mention lang pero hindi lahat po ng mga kagawaran meron,” he said.
He also said the President intends to show the real “state of the nation”, including the problems of the country and the possible solution to address them as soon as possible.
Meantime, there would be no declaration of a holiday on June 26, but it is not meant to limit the movement of rallyists, according to Lacierda.
The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) will be fielding 8,000 personnel for the metro-wide security operation during the highly-anticipated event.
Dubbed as Special Task Force "Kapayapaan", the security operations include securing vital thoroughfares in Quezon City, the vicinity of Batasang Pambansa and various villages along Commonwealth Avenue, and the augmentation of anti-riot policemen.
Benjardi Mantele, director of the Quezon City Police District (QCPD), also noted that the Aquino resident in Times Street as a "No Rally" zone.
All Philippine National Police (PNP) personnel would wear proper uniform with nameplates but pointed out that no police personnel would carry firearm.
To avoid previous instances of suspected infiltrators being mobbed by rally participants, the NCRPO Chief Roberto Rosales said that he will coordinate with the various intelligence units of the PNP and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
He also directed the QCPD to put large trash bins in all sites where policemen are deployed and to supervise the cleaning of the surroundings after the security engagement.
In other concerns, Rosales acknowledged the fielding of six monitoring teams from the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) to help NCRPO in documenting the conduct of the rallies.
He also directed QCPD and NCRPO intelligence operatives to flush out criminals in the areas where the rallies would be held.
NCRPO would be placed on Heightened Alert starting 6:00 AM on Saturday, July 24, 2010.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced that the number coding will be suspended on Monday, July 26, during the first Sona of the President.
MMDA Chairman Oscar Inocentes said the move will “allow unimpeded travel of people who would want to see the President and witness first Sona at the House of Representatives.”
“We suspend the number coding scheme following the clamor of well-wishers and people wanting to petition the President, to get as close as possible to him on this momentous day,” Inocentes added. (JMR/VR/With AH/Sunnex)