Lifting of deployment ban in Yemen, Bahrain sought-A A +A
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
OVERSEAS Filipino workers (OFWs) are calling on the labor department to lift the deployment ban in Yemen and Bahrain, citing the "business as usual" mood prevailing there despite the reported escalation of hostilities.
In an interview, Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) spokesman Nicon Fameronag said the agency has received some requests from Filipino workers in Yemen and Bahrain calling for the immediate lifting of the travel bans.
"Based on the reports that we are getting from Yemen and Bahrain, our Filipino workers are in their regular duties and requesting our government to lift the deployment ban," Fameronag said.
However, the labor official said the government is still thoroughly assessing the situation in those two countries.
Dole Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz imposed a suspension of the processing and deployment of OFWs to Libya, Bahrain, and Yemen last month.
The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) earlier said that the ban will remain in effect until "the political and the security situation in those three countries have normalized."
POEA records as of last year show that there are some 13,593 OFWs in Bahrain, and 1,081 in Yemen.
Earlier in the week, around 5,000 protesters joined demonstrations that demand the immediate end of President Ali Abdullah Saleh's 32-year rule of Yemen.
On the other hand, thousands of demonstrators demanded the cessation of power from the Sunni ruling family, specifically from King Hamad bin Isa al-Khalifa, who has already held his post for 40 years. (AMN/Sunnex)