Aussie kidnapped in Zambo Sibugay seeks $2M ransom-A A +A
Thursday, January 5, 2012
MANILA (Updated 10:19 a.m.) -- The captors of an Australian man kidnapped in Zamboanga Sibugay have released a video in which the victim urges Manila and Canberra (Australia) to help raise a $2-million ransom for his release.
The video of 53-year-old Warren Richard Rodwell had been sent to his Filipino wife in late December.
The Sydney Morning Herald posted the video online Thursday.
Military and police authorities said last month that the Australian national is already in the province of Basilan.
The whereabouts of Rodwell was established through “intelligence fusion” of the military and police in the region, 104th Infantry Brigade commander Colonel Ricardo Visaya earlier said.
Rodwell, a former university teacher in Shanghai, was taken at gunpoint by about six men on December 5 from his house in Greenmeadow Subdivision, Lower Pangi village, Ipil town.
It was the latest abduction of a foreigner in the country's volatile south where several kidnappings for ransom have been blamed on the al-Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf group.
Rodwell married last June 2011 a Filipina, Miraflor Gutang, who is a native of Naga, Zamboanga Sibugay. His family settled last October in Ipil after they bought a house and lot at Greenmeadow Subdivision. (AP/Sunnex)