NAIA Terminal 3 nears operation

-A A +A

Monday, March 12, 2012


THE Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 will soon be fully operational nearly a decade after its original inauguration date.
 
Transportation Secretary Manuel Roxas III announced this development after signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Takenaka Corporation, which is considered the first legal step to make Terminal 3 a hundred percent operational.
 
Part of the MOU is the "Civil Works Agreement Estimate of 23 Systems", which covers the delivery of 23 airport systems critical to make the terminal fully operational.
 
Roxas said both parties agreed to execute the Civil Works Agreement within 30 days from the date of execution of the MOU.
 
"We would like to thank Takenaka Corporation for both being thorough and sincere in negotiating with us. It was their cooperation that this deal was signed in record time," the Transportation Secretary said.
 
The 23 airport systems include Baggage Handling and Reconciliation System, Flight Information Display System, Building Management System, Local Area Network, Fire Alarm and Protection System, and Passenger Loading Bridges.
 
Takenaka was the original contractor commissioned by the Philippine International Air Terminals Co. (Piatco) to build NAIA Terminal 3 in 1998. However, construction at the terminal was halted in 2002 after allegations of anomalies cropped up.
 
A ruling of the Pasay City Regional Trial Court (RTC) allowing the government to take full control of the uncompleted NAIA Terminal 3 project last year has paved the way for government to pursue talks with Takenaka.
 
Takenaka is among the so-called "Big Five" contractors in Japan. The family enterprise has built some of the most important buildings in Japan, such as the Tokyo Tower, the Tokyo Dome, the Fukuoka Dome, and the Kobe Meriken Park Oriental Hotel, among others.
 
Once completed, the 182,500-square-meter terminal would have the capacity to service up to 33,000 passengers daily at peak or 6,000 passengers per hour. It also has 34 air bridges and 20 contact gates, allowing it to service 28 planes simultaneously.
 
Roxas said once the 23 systems are delivered and put in place, some of the operations of Terminal 1 will be transferred to Terminal 3.
 
"This will result in decongestion of passenger traffic in Terminal 1 for a more convenient and efficient air transport system,” the official said.
 
Last month, Roxas said the Department of Transportation and Communications expects that by December of this year, 75 percent of Terminal 3 will be operational with the other 25 percent by the first quarter or certainly by the first half of next year.
 
He noted that only 50 percent of the terminal is operational at present. (AH/Sunnex)

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Philippine Polls
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sinulog
  • Obituary
  • Technology
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • goodearth
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • ePaper
  • Pacman blog
  • Festivals
  • Calamity Report
  • Sunstar Multimedia