Government to transfer general aviation to Sangley

-A A +A

Sunday, May 6, 2012


PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III revealed on Sunday the government's plan to transfer general aviation operation from Ninoy Airport International Airport (NAIA) to Sangley Point in Cavite.

Aquino said the transfer is one way to ease the problem of runway congestion at NAIA that had been causing flight delays in the past weeks.

"At present, the Department of Transportation and Communications and the Department of National Defense are discussing plans to transfer the so-called general aviation from NAIA to Sangley," he said at the sidelines of the 70th commemoration of the Fall of Corregidor at Corregidor Island.

General aviation refers to all aircraft activity not associated with commercial flights and the military.

Aquino said the transfer will be implemented "within a month or so."

The President, on the other hand, is not amenable to transfer the entire operations of NAIA to Sangley, citing huge cost to government.

"If we will expand Sangley, there will be bigger expenses. We will be needing hundreds of reclamation to have something like NAIA. So it may not be feasible at this point," he said.

Meanwhile, President Aquino also bared plans to improve facilities in Corregidor Island citing its tourism potential.

He said he has instructed the Department of Budget and Management if it can allocate funds for the repair of the port facilities in the island to promote it for local and foreign tourists.

He stressed the need to preserve the area, which was left by war.

The Corregidor Foundation Inc. (CFI) and the Filipino American Memorial Endowment (Fame) organized the observance of the commemorative event in the island.

CFI is a private, non-stock and non-profit foundation mandated to administer and maintain Corregidor and is working under the auspices of the Department of Tourism.

CFI has partnered with Fame, which also has ties with the American Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines Inc. for the preservation and maintenance of the World War 2 battle monuments and memorials (Bataan Death March Markers Project) in the island.

Corregidor Island was the last line of defense of the American and Filipino forces during World War 2. It was eventually surrendered by the allied forces on May 6, 1942 to the Japanese invaders.

US General Douglas MacArthur retook Corregidor on March 2, 1945, when he liberated the country. (Jill Beltran/Sunnex)

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Philippine Polls
  • Filipino Abroad
  • goodearth
  • Pnoy
  • Festivals
  • Habemus Papam
  • Pacman blog
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Calamity Report
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sinulog