Palace alerts all agencies vs 'Butchoy'-A A +A
Friday, June 15, 2012
MALACAÑANG assured Friday that all concerned government agencies have been on standby for the possible onslaught of Tropical Storm "Butchoy" (international codename: Guchol).
Although the weather bureau said that the storm will not make landfall, it is still expected to intensify into a typhoon and projected to bring heavy rains over Luzon and Visayas.
"All the agencies have been alerted and have been on standby already," deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said.
She said the regional offices led by the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC), Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and the Department of Health (DOH) have been preparing for the storm.
She assured that there are enough standby funds for all the regions, which will be affected.
She said the government will closely monitor the situation particularly in the areas where the storm is expected to pass through.
In its 11 a.m. advisory Friday, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said "Butchoy" was last spotted at 510 kilometers (km) east southeast of Guiuan, Eastern Samar.
It has slightly intensified as it continues to move west northwest at 15 kilometers per hour (kph).
"Butchoy" has maximum winds of 11 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 140 kph.
Valte said the government is also monitoring the low pressure area which affected provinces in Mindanao such as Sarangani, General Santos City and Sultan Kudarat.
Malacañang earlier assured that the victims of flashfloods will be assisted by the government.
Meanwhile, Valte cautioned the people in Davao following reports of earthquake in the city.
She said the Palace is waiting for updates from various concerned agencies.
She said there have been no casualties reported so far. (Jill Beltran/Sunnex)