Aquino studies final draft of Executive Order on mining-A A +A
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
THE final draft of the proposed executive order (EO) on mining is already in the hands of President Benigno Aquino III, a Malacanang official said Tuesday.
Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. said the order had already been submitted to the President for his approval.
Ochoa said thorough consultations with all the stakeholders and other processes involved in the drafting of the proposal had been fulfilled.
“There are mechanisms in the proposal that are on the way forward, as this proposed EO hopes to strike a balance between interests or supposedly conflicting interests between the mining industry and the environment, among others,” he said.
He expressed hope that the recommended EO will be able to harmonize the conflicts in the mining policies between the national and local governments.
“Hopefully, with that we will be able to put some order in approving and in handling mining applications,” he added.
Ochoa also said there were some suggestions in the proposed EO, which was based on the resolution of the economic and climate change clusters, for Congress to pass appropriate laws to further strengthen the mining industry without compromising the preservation and protection of the environment.
“There are things we cannot cover in the EO and can only be achieved through legislation,” he explained.
He likewise mentioned the possible creation of a mining council under the proposed EO, but declined to elaborate pending the approval of the new policy by the President.
President Aquino earlier sought a comprehensive review of the existing mining policies and the state of the mining industry due to environmental degradation, safety issues, and dislocation of indigenous peoples. (Jill Beltran/Sunnex)